Help build a resource for vintage t-shirt brands by discussing and posting photos of old labels.
memoryvintage

Johnstown T-shirt Dating

Post by memoryvintage »

Hey there,

Anyone here have any knowledge of the Johnstown label? I find these from time to time but have little info on the brand, specifically dating and company history. Thanks!
Attachments
Johnstown T-shirt Dating

memoryvintage

Re: Johnstown T-shirt Dating

Post by memoryvintage »

So I found that the Johnstown Knitting Mills were in business for the entire 20th century (located in Johnstown, NY). The building is now home to a Canadian precision bike designer. Judging from another Johnstown tee I have, dated 1978, I would guess the Giants one is early '70s. Still any input would be appreciated as there seems to be no info on Defunkd for this brand.

When did secondary launder tags appear on t-shirts?

Retro

Post by Retro »

that's a cool shirt and tag! I would have guessed 60s but it sounds like you've done your homework.

I always thought if it made no mention of it being machine washable it was pre-70s but I have not come across too many shirts from that era so who knows.

nice find!

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

60s def. popped into my head when I saw it. I don't know about the secondary launder tags. Good Q. Assuming they weren't that common - or people just removed them because they were a nuisance.
Jimmy J