Ask advice and get tips from expert vintage sellers and buyers.
Frank

Re: Modern Day Bootleggers?

Post by Frank »

A major tip-off for me is if the print is missing a copyright date. I also expect to see real distressing, cracking, and peeling in the print. That seems pretty tough to replicate.

Only poseurs wear reprints and poseurs don't know any better, hence the positive feedback.

The only 'thrax shirt I would wear would be a "Fistful of Metal"- era shirt anyway. Neil Turbin was the superior vocalist.

Frank

Post by Frank »

oh Stormcrow, you cut up:
"ORIGINAL! THIS IS NOT A RAINBOWGASOLINE OR ACADEMYCLOTHIERS MODERN DAY FAKE PRINTED ON A VINTAGE BLANK T-SHIRT! UNLIKE THOSE SELLERS, I DON'T PULL THAT B.S. AND AM NOT OUT TO SCAM YOU. THIS IS AN ORIGINAL PURCHASED AT A CONCERT ON THEIR 1987 AMONG THE LIVING WORLD TOUR PHASE 2! Broken in, soft, thin and very faded with no stains. One tiny pinhole just below the front print that is shown in the last picture. CHECK OUT MY STORE FOR HUNDREDS MORE VINTAGE TOUR TEES!!! Thx!"

StivTaters

Post by StivTaters »

Frank wrote:oh Stormcrow, you cut up
Thank you. I'll be here all week. :)

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Don't forget to tip your waitress.
Jimmy J

Johnny65

Post by Johnny65 »

Frank wrote:Only poseurs wear reprints and poseurs don't know any better, hence the positive feedback.
So true! :lol:

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

I also just noticed that the ground area around the skulls, is red in the original - the fakes there's no color - it's just black. As we've mentioned in some of our guides...the counterfeiters just get lazy - and/or want to save money. That color would have meant an extra screen and stage in the process, make it more time consuming and expensive.
Jimmy J

StivTaters

Post by StivTaters »

Well, i was reported to ebay for that anthrax listing and it was removed. haha. Apparently rainbow and academy are the shy sensitive type of scammers and don't want their buyers to know.
;)

Frank

Post by Frank »

classic!

VP's

Post by VP's »

Hi. I know for certain that Tiny Pony is now going under the name Academy. How do I know? Well, 5 years ago I sold TP a "Westen" gun tee. It was very distinct and said "My Westen beats your 4 Aces." Had slight discoloration and a couple of noticable stains. Sold it to TP back in 2005 for $60. Well, last year this SAME tee showed up on Academy's site as a BIN. I am not sure if it is still there or if it sold. Also, my buddy sold a 1984 MTV shirt to him back in 2006 and I had lost out bidding to TP. Well, the SAME MTV tee was on his site last year and I bought it. So that proves 100% that Academy is TINY PONY! I did my detective work.
I have bought a few legit tees from Academy, including a 1984 Thriller Michael Jackson tee, a Mean Joe Green Steelers Coke tee, and a fishy Paul McCartney tee. I think he screen printed that one. It was super fishy.
Down with the bootleggers and scammers! :-)

Frank

Post by Frank »

I think you've cracked the case!
Attachments
Modern Day Bootleggers?
nancy drew.JPG (36.2 KiB) Viewed 10833 times