Ask advice and get tips from expert vintage sellers and buyers.
jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Modern Day Bootleggers?

Post by jimmyj »

Yup, I studied TPs purchases for quite some time and just before their fall I noticed they purchased a RUN DMC/Beasties Together Forever t-shirt for $400 through their selling account. For me it was the nail in the coffin for believing the stories about their printing operation. I'm sure it was planned the mint shirt would be used to create bootlegs and that $400 would come back many times over. However their operation crumbled and I don't think it ever went in to mass production.

Low and behold -

http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-1980s-RUN-D ... 1e5962cc4e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would even wager that's the exact one I saw them buy years ago. Rainbow has one up but it looks legit and isn't a small mint screen stars. It's also a pretty tough shirt to duplicate given it's a photo and probably has way too many intricate color separations to pull off convincingly.

Good ol' TP. I never understand guys like them. They put so much hard work in to ripping people off. Use your powers for good, not evil, or one day...
Jimmy J

Frank

Post by Frank »

I think you're a bit generous on that model's height. He's probably more towards the Ronnie James Dio end of the spectrum.

hermosavtg

Post by hermosavtg »

Is that the tinypony model? I'm confused!

Anyway, I spotted this fine dandy at the flea market last Sunday. Looked good at first but something was fishy. The shirt had a faded tag, but everything else was perfect, no stains, etc. The print was pristine. I have a hard time trusting a vintage t-shirt (especially a HARLEY t-shirt) with nearly no signs of age. Something just felt off. Then the seller went down from his asking price of $100 down to $50 when i offered $40... fishy! I asked around and apparently the seller had been selling identical tee's for a while, definitely a fake:

Frank

Post by Frank »

Yeah, Ronnie James Emo up there was TP's model ahhahahaha

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

I just had someone post this on my YouTube eBay video - I'm betting it's retaliation from one of the bootleggers - their YouTube account was registered today.

"rip off. he has these designs printed. notice the stack of shirts that is set down that all of them are the same? And none of them look worn at all. several of these design he has many of. these are not shirts off someones back, they are out of the printshop. ebay scam artist of the year!"
Jimmy J

CRAZYBUBBA

Post by CRAZYBUBBA »

It's not necessarily a bootlegger. People fear what they don't understand. I've gotten my fair share of insidious comments.
Have vintage Elvis tees? Let me know!

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Comments made from an account that was registered the same day...and has no other activity...are always suspect.
Jimmy J

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Looks like Tiny Pony Vin....er sorry Academy "Vintage" Clothiers is in full swing. All those classic TP crisp jerseys with no tag...

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?LH_Auction= ... 11.c0.m301" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jimmy J

TrickyGuns

Post by TrickyGuns »

I really like this thread, i think it's super helpful. Could we maybe get a sticky of a materlist of fake sellers at the top that could be added to once the board definitly weighs in that they're selling bootlegs (wither it be all or some)

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Darn good idea. I'll work on that..I'm doing an update to the forum shortly.

In other news...here's a guy who prints on vintage tees...add him to the list:

silvertrainvintage

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... world=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jimmy J