Not for Sale! Show off your personal stash of vintage t-shirts here.
SF415

Record set for most expensive Star Wars t-shirt

Post by SF415 »

http://propstoreauction.com/view-auctio ... Fpage%3D12

This auction held by the Prop Store ended recently and as far as I know this is the most a single Star Wars t-shirt has fetched on the open market to date. It was Phil Tippett's personal shirt (look him up if your not familiar with him) so the provenance definitely helps but also this is the only example that has surfaced after almost 38 years. It is rumored that only a dozen or so we're ever made. This is now the holy grail of Star Wars shirts.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Record set for most expensive Star Wars t-shirt

Post by jimmyj »

Woa thanks for the update - will have to add it in the blog post. I think your recent addition may be second?
Jimmy J

SF415

Post by SF415 »

jimmyj wrote:Woa thanks for the update - will have to add it in the blog post. I think your recent addition may be second?
As to rarity, I feel these are the top three in order, so far:

1) The Tauntaun from Empire Strikes Back (needed for my collection)
2) The X-Wing from Star Wars A New Hope (I have this example)
3) The Night Crew from Empire Strikes Back (needed for my collection)

I'm just happy to own at least one "holy grail"; if anyone finds an ILM crew shirt I am missing, please drop me an email.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

So the Dog Fight One you recently posted doesn't make the list? Do you have an image of the Night Crew one?
Jimmy J

SF415

Post by SF415 »

Yeah, the "Dog Fight" example is hard to find but by no means as rare as the top three I listed. One can be bought for around $250 when they come up for sale.

Here is a link to the Night Crew shirt:
http://propstoreauction.com/view-auctio ... Fpage%3D12

It actually was in the same auction as the other Tauntaun shirt I linked above, only this one sold for a measly $2500 (sans fees and taxes).

I assume that if similar shirts came up for sale without the provenance they'd still command in the neighborhood of 1200-1800, although that is just an opinion. It's hard to put solid numbers on such limited released items such as these ILM crew shirts.