Upload a photo and let the community weigh in on the authenticity of your t-shirt.
Chadwick3030

Any Star Wars Experts Out There?

Post by Chadwick3030 »

I feel I have a basic enough knowledge of vintage tees to take a tag and combine that with other factors to tell most of the time if a shirt is vintage or not. Unfortunately this shirt is missing a tag and I just don't have enough experience with Star Wars memorabilia. What do you think? Is this authentic??? Thank you!
Attachments

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Any Star Wars Experts Out There?

Post by jimmyj »

Hard to tell from here what type of print it is - but it kinda looks like a screen print trying hard to look like an old heat transfer print.

what type of print is it?

we do have one expert - though he doesnt login often.
Jimmy J

Chadwick3030

Post by Chadwick3030 »

this is definitely heat press. correct me if I'm wrong, but a heat press is an actual imaged literally pressed onto the shirt and will be slightly raised, where a screen print has the dye actually in the fabric.

The image is definitely raised and the parts that look 'aged' are literally areas where the heat press is missing, I can even see t shirt 'fuzz' sticking out of the age cracks. Not sure if it's possible to deliberately create that effect with a heat transfer?

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

pretty much but a screen sits on the fabric too. transfers are pressed on as one piece and have a different rubbery texture.

either way, unless this is some obscure design - transfers arent usually worth much. because they deteriorate and in a lot of cases there are stacks of them floating around and old ones are still being printed today. But if its original? hopefully the SW guy will chime in...
Jimmy J

SF415

Post by SF415 »

Well, I've never seen this particular design but I'm 99.9% sure this is a contemporary shirt and most likely sold recently through either a Target/Walmart type store or a t-shirt website like redbubble.com or the ilk.

*Just to clarify, I meant recently as in the last 10-15 years so it could be "vintage" in that sense but I highly doubt it dates from the 70s-80s. Like JimmyJ stated, the transfer shirts, even vintage ones, do not regularly command a lot of money for tons of them were produced. Most of the short run (cast and crew) or bootleg shirts are the most desirable.

Here is a link to a massive Star Wars t-shirt thread on Rebelscum:

http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1045259

You can peruse the pages there and see if you can locate it. Also, maybe do an image search on google.

~Steve