Ask advice and get tips from expert vintage sellers and buyers.
CRAZYBUBBA

VTG Tee Sellers and Sizes

Post by CRAZYBUBBA »

Has anyone ever noticed how many ebay auctions will have "M" in the title for a shirt that fits 17" armpit to armpit? What's the deal? It makes more sense to write XS or a size that actually reflects the garment so that prospective buyers can search for the item. Am I missing something?
Have vintage Elvis tees? Let me know!

StivTaters

Re: VTG Tee Sellers and Sizes

Post by StivTaters »

You're right Bubs, it can be a bit confusing. I sometimes will put a M if it's a medium that measures about 18 pit to pit (what i consider a true 80's medium measurement) in hopes of attracting someone who is looking for a specific shirt and who is familiar with vintage sizing. If i were to put a S on that listing, it may stop that person from clicking on it, because they may think it is actually tagged a small and knowing a size small from the 80s won't fit them, they don't even bother. Not sure if that makes sense or not, but fuck, i just got out of bed and haven't had any coffee yet. :)

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

I agree with StivTaters, if that's even his real name. "In my day" I used to put both...M/S just so the title would still attract both sized browsers and it would encourage them to confirm the size in the listing. The odd time I could only fit one of the sizes in the title, I would of course get the person who bought without looking at the size data and then complain it wasn't a M...even though it clear stated fits like: S. "But that's the way it was and we liked it!"
Jimmy J

Corey

Post by Corey »

If you list the actual (not stated) size, some folks will complain that you misrepresented the item. Only, because THEY failed to read the description. I understand what you are saying though.