Upload a photo of a vintage tee and a description of its condition and let the community appraise it.
Forum rules
We've authored a very detailed appraisal guide you can view here: http://www.defunkd.com/blog/2014/04/28/ ... e-t-shirt/
hokeypix

Led Zeppelin 1977 US Tour tee?

Post by hokeypix »

Please please please let this be the real deal! It came out of a long-stored suitcase from the 80s. It's super soft and almost see-through if held up to the light.

UNITED STATES TOUR '77
LED ZEPPELIN

gray with mostly yellow and blue lettering (and some red, etc. in the artwork)

It's a V-neck, and seems shorter than the only other one I could find online. Maybe it was for girls? Oh - they probably screened the image lower due to the low V-neck.

It has a few holes and some almost-holes. The change in color on the sleeves is just the light when we shot it quickly.

Thanks for any/all info!

(Btw, also found a 1985 Robin Trower tee in the same suitcase - will post separately - also seems quite rare as can find no others online)
Attachments
Led Zeppelin 1977 US Tour tee?

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Led Zeppelin 1977 US Tour tee?

Post by jimmyj »

Its a little odd to be on a v neck - but I think its legit old. the cut is unfortunate though...needs to go to a lady. Unless belly shirts come back in style for men.
Jimmy J

hokeypix

Post by hokeypix »

jimmyj wrote:Its a little odd to be on a v neck - but I think its legit old. the cut is unfortunate though...needs to go to a lady. Unless belly shirts come back in style for men.
:D I was thinking that too. Yeah, best to be worn by a woman.

OK, now, the crucial part for me - value? The last one I saw (not as worn in) went for $750. on ebay. (In fact I've found very few of them - can you point me to any others that have sold?). I'm not sure if the V-neck makes it more or less desirable. I welcome your thoughts!

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

The cut kills the value mostly. Be surprised if you got more than $100. :(
Jimmy J

hokeypix

Post by hokeypix »

Bummer. Thanks for your input, JJ.

hokeypix

Post by hokeypix »

Jimmy J, are you sure it's from the period? Someone was interested but then said they didn't think they made heather gray then, in which case they thought it might be a later reprint. Is there a way one can research this? Thanks!

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Sorry should have clarified the legit old comment - yes may be 80s which is still legit old. Although I have never considered when heathered grey emerged. Gotta keep an eye on that. Anyone else?
Jimmy J

FiftyFiftyMan

Post by FiftyFiftyMan »

The heather gray t-shirt dates back to the '50's...as I've seen photos of Marlon Brando wearing one...

This one is of my brother wearing a vintage NY Knicks tee in 1973, though we have pics from at least '71 of him wearing the same one. (Yellow paint added to protect the innocent ;) ). Reminds me how long it's been since I've had birch beer.

hokeypix

Post by hokeypix »

Thanks FiftyFiftyMan! Now if we can only figure out if Zeppelin released a v-neck of this 1977 US tour....I've exhausted my (limited) resources, but this can't be the only one out there?

Did bands ever make women's tees in the 70s, or were they always unisex?

FiftyFiftyMan

Post by FiftyFiftyMan »

Possibly, though I've never run across any. Perhaps some true vintage bootleg items are floating around. Official merch, I'm not sure. The only ones I saw on Ebay were retro babydoll & women's styles from only the last 10 years (with a few unscrupulous sellers trying to pass them off as period vintage). I'll keep my eye out for you.