Ask advice and get tips from expert vintage sellers and buyers.
Frank

packaging for shipping

Post by Frank »

When I first got into eBay back in the Golden Age, I spent a lot of time on packaging. I wrote a quick personal letter and usually added a mix CD. Lots of fun, but of course very time consuming.

Now, I pretty much just fold the shirt and stuff it into an envelope.

Do you think it's worthwhile to try to build up some repeat customers by adding to the overall packaging feel or do you think it's more of a commodity transaction at this point?

hermosavtg

Re: packaging for shipping

Post by hermosavtg »

I had some 2"x4" stickers made up with my logo and a URL to my ebay seller page made up, and stick those on every package I send out. I hope at least it increases my rate of feedbacks. I think inserts are a waste and as a buyer can simply be annoying garbage.

VP's

Post by VP's »

The more you make the customers feel good, the more they will come back and buy from you. Can't hurt. I used to send business cards and a lock of my hair. Just kidding! Ha. Anyhow yeah, I think that personal touches are key to making the customer happy. What can be more joyous than opening an envelope and getting a vintage tee? Nothing in my book.
VPs

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Insert for sure if you're selling the same product and have a chance for repeat customers.

If you're hitting power seller levels - and qualify for the discounts based on feedback - an add in is key to increasing your DSR's. I found that the vintage certification card I put in really helps in that department.

Even if it's just a piece of paper - I got an interesting add in once that said, "I strive for perfect DSRs, anything less and eBay charges me more money - so please contact me prior and I will make things right".
Jimmy J

Frank

Post by Frank »

post your Certified Vintage certificate!

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

I can't release the certificate to the general public out of counterfeiting fears. Hehe - they are nothing special - printed on cardboard. I'm working on plastic certificates available in the new year - I'll gladly post those when they are ready.
Jimmy J

hermosavtg

Post by hermosavtg »

Been considering packing an insert with a discount code for the buyer's next purchase. The buyer could even pass the code along to his or her friends and it would be a great bit of viral marketing.

StivTaters

Post by StivTaters »

I've been thinking about doing a discount code insert too. I am deciding whether to have one code that every buyer gets and can use as many times as they like, or separate codes that are void after one use...
i talked to a guy at paypal and he was trying to get that going on his end so it would be hassle free for us. He took down my number a few months ago, but i haven't heard back from him.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Agreed - eBay/Paypal should allow sellers/buyers to specify discount codes - all independent e-commerce sites always have them, they're a staple of online business.

eBay should also have an upsell format, when someone is finished buying something sellers should be able to specify another complimentary product at a discount.

Eg - someone buys a Ratt shirt - and it triggers the system to offer the buyer a deal to include a Ratt button for an extra .50 cents.
Jimmy J

Frank

Post by Frank »

you could offer free or discounted shipping for existing customers, i guess.