Upload a photo of a vintage tee and a description of its condition and let the community appraise it.
Forum rules
We've authored a very detailed appraisal guide you can view here: http://www.defunkd.com/blog/2014/04/28/ ... e-t-shirt/
Zoopreme700

Vintage Woodstock T-Shirt History, Tags

Post by Zoopreme700 »

Hello all,
I am new to the defunkd community but an avid vintage picker. I found this shirt at a local goodwill and was wondering the exact age and possible value for this T. There are no stains or holes but the die appears to be "molting" and the splotches arent too visible. I havent run accross any other ones and really need some help.. any info would be helpful. Thanks!
Attachments
wood1.gif (192.8 KiB) Viewed 19762 times
wood2.gif (237.69 KiB) Viewed 19762 times
wood3.gif (217.45 KiB) Viewed 19762 times

maxvintage

Re: Vintage HANES Woodstock shirt

Post by maxvintage »

Wow! That's a gem.

It looks to be the exact same shirt seen here:

http://www.artfact.com/auction-lot/wood ... 689cf8a392

There's brief description that states a bit of history about the shirt and how it was worn by crew members at the festival.

That shirt and handbill sold for $717 as a lot and a Woodstock shirt recently sold on ebay for $7k.

I'd say that's quite a find.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Woodstock-gate continues....

"Woodstock Security Staff T Shirt and Original Handbill (1969). John Roberts and Joel Rosenman, the original financiers of the 1969 Woodstock festival, had approximately 350 security staff red t shirts printed with the white Dove and Guitar logo silkscreened on the front, and the name "Woodstock" printed on the back. These red shirts were different from those worn by construction workers, stage hands, and vendors, with very few surviving past the three-day extravaganza. Here's a Excellent condition t shirt (size: Large) from that original batch, obtained from an acquaintance of John Roberts. Along with the tee is an original handbill, showing the first version of the Woodstock poster, with the Wallkill NY location. It measures 4.5" x 7.25", and is also in Excellent condition. Show your true Woodstock colors with this lot!"
Jimmy J

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

That Hanes tag isn't something I would have said to be from 1969. Early 70s maybe - but who knows for sure, there's no exact timeline on when that tag was created - but I do have tees from the early 80s with that exact tag. Which also doesn't say much because massive amounts of blanks were probably printed and hung around for a while.

We need to contact one of the organizers - anyone have any clue on how to do so?
Jimmy J

Johnny65

Post by Johnny65 »

Amazing you found this at a Goodwill store in 2012.

I'd have to agree with Jimmy. The small Hanes tag is consistent with some of the older tees in my collection from the mid-70's.

Hard to know for sure if it's actually from 1969.

Might be worth taking some better photos and sending out an email to some places like http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/

Who knows...you may have found a very rare piece of rock history.
collective [kəˈlɛktɪv]
http://worn75.blogspot.com/

bodhi

Post by bodhi »

Very cool shirt, but I would hesitate to call it an original (not saying I know for sure, just hesitating). I currently have a tee from 1977 with that same Hanes tag, and I'm pretty sure that one carried on into the early 80's. Not sure if it was used as far back as 1969, can anyone verify?

My other question mark would be the (TM) after the "Woodstock". Did original crew shirts and merchandise from the festival have this, or does it only pop up on later, licensed Woodstock branded items?

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, I just think it would be borderline miraculous finding an original Woodstock staff or security t-shirt at a Goodwill :)

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

All good q's - Max and I are digging into this - I'm trying to touch base with one of the organizers.

Keep your eyes open for the earliest known Hanes tee with that tag - definitely a surprise to me if it was around in 69.
Jimmy J

bodhi

Post by bodhi »

This is the earliest example of that tag that I have photos of that's actually dated (in this case, 1977). Same tag layout, although the spacing on the borders of the tag is a little different.

Zoopreme700

Post by Zoopreme700 »

really appreciate the research you guys are doing. As far as the Haynes tag goes it seems believable they had them around this year as most shirts of the time were never dated. I did find the shirt in the NE area so it doesnt seem too far out of the question, and I think a lot of people underestimate what you can find at goodwills. Noticed this F&L shirt that jimmyj suggested was given out as a promo around when the book came out circa 1972. heres the link
what-worth-f20/ralph-steadman-fear-loat ... -t740.html

maxvintage

Post by maxvintage »

Okay okay.....

Here's a shirt that we can all agree is from 1969 with this same tag:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... TM:US:1123

I have a Star Wars crew shirt from 78-79 with the same tag, so it appears to have quite a life span.

As Jimmy stated earlier, we're looking into it and have gotten some traction with people in the know. Stay tuned........