Ask advice and get tips from expert vintage sellers and buyers.
jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: packaging for shipping

Post by jimmyj »

I tried that - it never worked for me - the first few years I used to insert a nicely printed business size card offering free shipping on a future item, at least a few hundred got them, no one ever used them.

Maybe since shipping is an after thought in the purchase process that people didn't see the card as having any value - because many return customers that I has sent the card didn't mention it.

But then again maybe that's a good thing? Maybe the card served it's purpose helping to create loyalty.
Jimmy J

Frank

Post by Frank »

i created a little "we strive for fives" card to stuff into outbound packages now that i have my dot com name- thanks for the idea!

Hey, do you guys ship out in those first class tyvek envelopes or do you usually only ship out via priority? i like the free envelopes for priority, but $4.85 for shipping is for the birds. First class gets there in about the same time for half the price.
The cheapest i can find first class tyvek envelopes is a about 26 cents a piece.

Thoughts?

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

I used to use Tyvek until I found the plastic ones. Better for biz, not better for the environment. If you buy enough of them you can get them to under .06 cents each.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=9+1 ... =&LH_CAds=
Jimmy J

Frank

Post by Frank »

wow, glad i asked! there's a supplier of these plastic envelopes 2 miles away from my home!

where should i direct your finder's fee?

hermosavtg

Post by hermosavtg »

You won't find better prices or service than from "THEERB"
http://shop.ebay.com/threerb/m.html?_nk ... ksid=p3686" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I usually score my tape at the flea market (can find some awesome out of production USA made tape for $1 or less a roll). And my packing material behind the Pier 1 Imports at the mall. Why pay when you can get for free? I also want to incorporate this into some sort of "green packaging" marketing.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Yeah I used to buy from "THEERB" but they stopped shipping to Canada. :evil: These envelopes are enviro-bad...I looked in to more green ones, priced way too high.
Jimmy J

hermosavtg

Post by hermosavtg »

What green alternatives have you looked into? The plastic ones from THEERB are really excellent, very durable, wont get all mangled in the post, and top notch adhesive. I'd say they're better quality than any Tyvek stuff.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Fully recycled envelopes, compostible ones, etc. Tyvek at least has a recycled content...the threeb ones are like plastic bags and will forever be in landfills. I feel green guilt every time I use one hehe. But the other bonus is that they are lighter...so not only do they save $$ per use, but frequently make my shipping cheaper because they don't tip the scale as much. Not sure how it works in the US but with Canada Post there are precious grams that can make the difference of $2-3 and the plastic envelopes give me a better chance at scoring the cheaper rate.
Jimmy J

sevrocs

Post by sevrocs »

Im my opinion the customer just wants their item shipped soon, a little note saying thanks is not gonna make them happy. Get it shipped out quick, pack it right. Assume your gonna get a few jerks here and there that are not happy no matter what you do.

Little_Blue_Girl

Post by Little_Blue_Girl »

Hi!

If you're trying to develop a brand and you're focusing on quality, packaging is very important. A simple sticker, a personalized thank you note, maybe some freebies like download codes (for music, film, etc).

Here are some examples of really lovely t-shirt packaging made of cardboard:
unifiedmanufacturing.com/blog/cardboard-tshirt-packaging/

A little extra something will go a long way esp now that not too many businesses care about adding value.Surprise them.