Talk about anything here.
blancobros

Re: What's w/ all the vintage Americana in Malaysia/Phillipines?

Post by blancobros »

Their t-shirt prices do seem extremely high. I guess it really depends on the selection.

A good chunk of their prices seem to be inline with most thrift stores. If they truly have the volume inventory they claim, That's not bad. It would be refreshing to dig thru a pile of all vintage stuff instead all modern stuff to find one piece or nothing at all.

Anyone else know of any other rag shops on the east coast?

On facebook, they post deals that are not the website. 1/2 off winter stuff, etc.

Inmind

Post by Inmind »

I went to that Philly "Vintage Raghouse” about 2 years ago. It felt overpriced for what they offered. I didn’t buy anything. They had a lot of shirts with holes and stains, but not everything was that way. Going to a place like that takes away from the thrill of the hunt because, they run a vintage store as well, so they are taking all the good stuff off the top. I wouldn’t make a trip to go there specifically but if you’re in town and they are open that day It’s worth swinging by.

I live in Hampton Roads / Norfolk, Virginia and we have a very large shipping port here, sadly I can’t find any Raghouses in the area. maybe I should start one? ;)

Most of the larger thrift stores in my area don’t have much vintage selection, though I do find lots of nice condition stuff vintage at Goodwills.

We have a HUGE Salvation Army that puts out torn up clothes, I once bought 87!! 70’s-80’s vintage shirts there for $1-$2 each at our main Salvation Army. It’s also where I got my 1991 De La Soul Shirt and 1972 Rolling Stones shirt. I go there at least twice a week.

mrs_stout

Post by mrs_stout »

blancobros wrote:
mrs_stout wrote:I wish I could find a rag house in NY/NJ :cry:
There is one in Philly. http://bulkvintage.com/ There are only open to the public on certain days.
I have not personally checked them out yet. I'm planning on making the trek in April or so.

Supposedly there are many "rag shops" on the east coast. The problem is most of them are not open to the public.
Thanks for the info! I'll check them out on my thrift trek down to VA Beach in April.

blancobros

Post by blancobros »

Inmind wrote:I went to that Philly "Vintage Raghouse” about 2 years ago. It felt overpriced for what they offered. I didn’t buy anything. They had a lot of shirts with holes and stains, but not everything was that way. Going to a place like that takes away from the thrill of the hunt because, they run a vintage store as well, so they are taking all the good stuff off the top. I wouldn’t make a trip to go there specifically but if you’re in town and they are open that day It’s worth swinging by.

That's a bummer. I still might head down to philly for some other business, so maybe I'll swing by and check it out.

I wish I would find some vintage band tees at the thrift stores near me. I never see them. I'm at a thrift store everyday. I'm fortunate to have fifteen in 20 mile radius of my house. But no cool vintage tees.

stage1dave

Post by stage1dave »

I'm kinda wondering about this too...all of the 3D stuff I've sold in the last year has gone to Thailand or Malaysia.

Mostly 'trucker t's" but the 3D Harley stuff sells at decent prices too, tho' not as high as something with Flying J Travel Plaza across the back. I can't see "Ice Road Truckers" creating a cultural phenomena over there just yet, so I'm kinda in the dark as to the reasons. (or is it "BJ & the Bear" reruns?)

However, make sure it's a S or M; I haven't sold anything bigger, such as a large. Leads me to think these t's are being bought to wear?

A buddy of mine made an interesting point, & he doesn't know one end of a t-shirt from another, btw...

He mentioned the possibility that HAVING an actual t shirt would make it A LOT easier to reproduce a quality copy...given the discussion on these boards about 3D's incredibly clean ink printing processes, he might have a good point. Plus, having an actual t would solve the tag reproduction issue.

But I'll reserve judgement until I see a sudden flood of 3D Trucker shirts for sale... :roll: