Talk about anything here.
Messier83

What's w/ all the vintage Americana in Malaysia/Phillipines?

Post by Messier83 »

Serious question - I am looking for some kind of legitimate explanation for why there is so much vintage Americana coming out of Malaysia.

I know they've been bitten by the vintage bug, but you'd think if it was all destined to satisfy for their national demand, we wouldn't see such pristine examples (NOS looking stuff) of Americana surface all the time. It's like the Americana supply there, is mostly for export. I see this especially w/ WWII gear and post WWII clothing...

Hmm - Just looking for an educated historical or sociological explanation, rather than chalking it all up to repop or imitation stuff...

Thoughts?

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: What's w/ all the vintage Americana in Malaysia/Phillipines?

Post by jimmyj »

I know with t-shirts - the big sellers, buy from eBay and resell on eBay. Same way a lot of N.A. sellers get a lot of their stock.
Jimmy J

Messier83

Post by Messier83 »

Hmmm. I guess that's the most obvious answer. I was wondering if it had to do w/ a large expat community back in the day or maybe clothing drives. I grew up in South America where poverty is basically everywhere - so for like 30 years there have been mass clothing drives from the US, and to this day I'm surprised by all the vintage american stuff you see on people. Like 60s t's, etc. Apparently they would ship containers of old clothes down - and still do. Anyhow.

I was wondering if it was maybe a similar thing.

The militaria stuff still doesn't make sense - I see deck jackets churned out by the dozens and those are kinda rare.

vintagefinds1984

Post by vintagefinds1984 »

all the "DEPARTMENT STORE"
THRIFT STORES like, SAVERS, GOODWILL, salvation army, st.vincent depaul, rag out any vintage or old looking clothing,anything well worn super thin espacially t-shirts.... that stuff never hits the racks they lie and say they put everything out in the the thrift store and if it doesnt sell after a month they "rag" it out,cram it all in huge bundles ,, ship it to rag houses where most vintage shoppers do their buying, or if the rag houses dont get it they send them to import export companies that get the clothes donated by the bulk, and sent to third world countries like malaysia, phillipines where they pick out anything and everything good, even picking is being outsourced,pickers are loosing out.... please write to your thrift stores and tell them to stop this paractice,, they think they are doing well, buy shipping out these clothes american wouldnt want because they are old and dirty,,, bottom line is they couldnt price them high enough to make a good profit so they right it off ass a loss...even though thrift stores are supposed to be ono profit.... but if they would just put out clothes all clothes even the ones the geniuses at the pricing room think are just rags and price them low.instead of some fucking old navy shirt that is actually cheaper new at old navy... the only vintage shirts you see at savers are deadstock ones that have no dates on them, another "rule" that needs to be done away with,,please voice your complaints these thrift stores are so corrupt,

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Yup, that's what goes down. But a huge percentage of the vintage community gets their clothes from rag houses. It's our only source now actually! So these items are still saved and put in circulation.
Jimmy J

CRAZYBUBBA

Post by CRAZYBUBBA »

Speaking as a ragman, I would MUCH rather they keep the old, worn, vintage stuff and just send me new Old Navy stuff ;)
Have vintage Elvis tees? Let me know!

hermosavtg

Post by hermosavtg »

all the thrift stores i've been to still put out a lot of worn out junk. Hard to find a good rag house these days. Too many Japanese and overseas buyers and rag house politics.

mrs_stout

Post by mrs_stout »

I wish I could find a rag house in NY/NJ :cry:

blancobros

Post by blancobros »

mrs_stout wrote:I wish I could find a rag house in NY/NJ :cry:
There is one in Philly. http://bulkvintage.com/ There are only open to the public on certain days.
I have not personally checked them out yet. I'm planning on making the trek in April or so.

Supposedly there are many "rag shops" on the east coast. The problem is most of them are not open to the public.

itsallgood

Post by itsallgood »

blancobros wrote:
mrs_stout wrote:I wish I could find a rag house in NY/NJ :cry:
There is one in Philly. http://bulkvintage.com/ There are only open to the public on certain days.
I have not personally checked them out yet. I'm planning on making the trek in April or so.

Supposedly there are many "rag shops" on the east coast. The problem is most of them are not open to the public.
I was looking at there prices.
Seems spendy!
http://www.bulkvintage.com/bulkvintagewarehouse.pdf