Not for Sale! Show off your personal stash of vintage t-shirts here.
Bobbybrownbrown

Triumph X Duane Allman

Post by Bobbybrownbrown »

Hi guys I'm new here please be kind to me :) . I got a shirt to show , tell and ask . I got this shirt for some time . it's a Triumph World's Fastest on the front and Skydog Duane Allman at the back . I did all my research for this shirt but unfortunately I didn't get any info . I didn't find anyone who own or knew the origin of this shirt . I didn't see anyone selling it or wearing it other than old photos of duane allman of allman brothers band . the tag are completely faded . i have ask the writer of allman brothers memorabilia books and he told me MAYBE it came from Triumph and for triumph local dealers but he's not sure .does anyone here ever saw one of this anywhere or knew something bout this shirt. I hope someone here can answer my question .
Attachments
Triumph X Duane Allman
Triumph X Duane Allman
Triumph X Duane Allman
Triumph X Duane Allman
Triumph X Duane Allman
DA16-1.jpg (27.23 KiB) Viewed 6755 times
Triumph X Duane Allman
l_8f7df5c759513d647eadcd60483fd7f5.jpeg (24.98 KiB) Viewed 6755 times

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Triumph X Duane Allman

Post by jimmyj »

love the vintage photos. what's the pit to pit measurement. how long have you had it in your possession?
Jimmy J

Bobbybrownbrown

Pit 18
Length 25

Ive had it for about 5-6 years . found it in a thrift store ...bought it just because of the triumph .i love old bikes

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Here's my thoughts based on a bit of digging around and unfortunately not having the time to dig more due to two maniac kids.

Given the measurements and tag- it does have a 70s vibe from what I can see.

He died in 1971 in a motorcyle accident (harley). That back print seems more modern to me. I doubt it was on the back of the shirt he was wearing. There is one shot you included that looks like there's a bit of white on the back- could you find any shots with the back?

Did "Skydog" come to be after he died? Im not sure.

It's likely a tribute tee from a more recent era.

Depending on how old- given triumph and duane are both sought after...could have value.

Ill ask a few others.
Jimmy J

Bobbybrownbrown

I didn't found any old back pictures of that shirt . used all my Google skills but no result . haha . skydog is his last album before he died in that Harley accident . I got the same feeling too that it might not be the same shirt he's wearing because hes in allman brothers band but only his name is written back there . I don't know whats the connection between him and triumph . thanks jimmy j for asking around ..I don't mind using your consignment service if this shirt got some value . its in great condition without any defect .
Attachments
The only pic I found someone gave me . it  does looks new and in different colour . maybe they copy it from some old shirt ?
The only pic I found someone gave me . it does looks new and in different colour . maybe they copy it from some old shirt ?
FB_IMG_1515459776639.jpg (29.59 KiB) Viewed 6716 times

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

I think its commemorative. Some value given it's the only one floating around. But not a great candidate for a partnership on it. But thanks for sharing!
Jimmy J

zargosh

Post by zargosh »

Cool shirt. This is a very old thread, but just to add a little to it...

Duane already had the nickname SkyDog before the band came together, when he was a session guitarist at Muscle Shoals. The story goes that Rick Hall, the founder of FAME studios, called Duane "Dog" and Wilson Pickett called Duane "SkyMan" because Duane liked to go get high before cutting tracks. The two morphed into "SkyDog."

Duane was 24 when he died in an accident on his Harley. He owned a Triumph too.

Here's a quote from Guitar Player Magazine from Duane's friend Jim Shepley about Duane's bikes:

“[Duane's first vehicle was] A motorcycle. It was a Harley Davidson 165. We also rode motors together. That’s another thing we did together quite a bit. The three things we did was get high and be drunk, ride motorcycles, and play guitar. And probably play guitar about 50% of the time, and the other 25% to each one of the other things. Right after the Harley, he got himself a Triumph 500, and he’d race up the street, lifting up the front end at 90 miles an hour.”