Upload a photo of a vintage tee and a description of its condition and let the community appraise it.
Forum rules
We've authored a very detailed appraisal guide you can view here: http://www.defunkd.com/blog/2014/04/28/ ... e-t-shirt/
Vendetta

Re: Is This The Holy Grail of Vintage Tees???

Post by Vendetta »

Lord Ched: Thanks for 'ched'-ing some light on the subject of tags.

Bandito & Johnny65: Honestly, thank you for your input. Unfortunately, we live in a day and age where not only is there repo-vintage shirts, but even dishonest vintage sellers that screen print on older t-shirts. (I don't believe we need to name names) :evil:

Here are my thoughts... At least to my knowledge printing older "years" on clothing didn't really start happening until the late 80s. (I might be wrong, but that is my assumption) Unless it was an anniversary or a class reunion tee. And I'm not talking about copyright years like with Snoopy shirts that say 1950 or 60 something, but with regards of a big printed year on the shirt. Secondly, the shape of this shirt looks like the letter T which makes me believe at least 60s or pre-60s. If that is the case (which I don't see this shirt being produced anywhere post 60s) then it doesn't make sense for any screen printer in the 60s or 50s to print an older year like 1938 on a tee. It just wasn't something that was done. (At least to my knowledge) And if it was "true" that someone printed this even in the 70s or earlier why do it on a boys tee that measures 15x21 and have the 'Blackwell Tribune' on it. Obviously, it has been worn by some kid from all the dirt stains. Maybe the story went down like this...

(Pick the scenario year between 1950-1975)
*Christmas*
Dad: Open the package junior.
Son: A t-shirt???
Dad: Not only a t-shirt, a throwback tee from 1938 Soap Box Derby that I was at when I was your age.
Son: What's a throwback, pa?
Dad: Don't worry...it will be trendy when you have kids.

*The next school day*
School Boy: Nice old shirt!
Son: It's not old it's new!
School Boys: Ha Ha! Junior is wearing his pa's old t-shirt!
Son: I swear it's new, I just swear it!
School Boy: Let's kick his ass!!
Other School Boys: Ya!!!!

The shirt was then stuffed away never to be worn or washed again. The End.

:D

Would love for others to weigh in on the subject of this tee, skeptic or not. Cheers!

"You stood up to be counted with the enemies of everything the Grail stands for! Who gives a damn what you believe?"

This picture I found online yesterday dating July 23rd 1938. Maybe this gives a little more validation that the shirt could have been printed this far back.
Attachments
Is This The Holy Grail of Vintage Tees???
1938.jpg (34.76 KiB) Viewed 12391 times

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Ha, nice one V.

I agree the tag is odd....but I think it's the real deal. The research all backs it up. We now have photographic evidence, what more do we need, actually, aside from a time machine, what more could we even ask for? Carbon dating in a lab I guess.

I think we're all jaded because of the jerks who have duped us and the rest of the vintage world. Lets have a group hug.

So what will become of this controversial shirt?
Jimmy J

Johnny65

Post by Johnny65 »

Great post everyone!

Best regards -

John/Black Market Vintage

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Hey - I didn't realize you had a blog, adding it to my blogroll now.
Jimmy J

bandito

Post by bandito »

I am still sceptical.All items I have seen/handled from this period tend to have embroidered lables,not printed.This seemed to carry through to the 60's and beyond.Of course,the number of pieces I have seen is limited by the fact of them being scarce.I can't recall any printed labels from the 30's/40's but I am open to being educated.

Johnny65

Post by Johnny65 »

jimmyj wrote:Hey - I didn't realize you had a blog, adding it to my blogroll now.
Very cool! Thanks Jimmy.

Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Just a quick update. I received an email from Rin Tanaka about the shirt and just wanted to share his thoughts:

"I have seen the exactly same t-shirt you own a few years ago. Probably American printed t-shirts culture started in the 1930s, but most were sold after WWII. So this is very early rare piece. Very collectible!"

Very generous of Rin "The Master" to give me his thoughts on the tee.

In conclusion, I truly believe this shirt has been authenticated to the year printed on the shirt after weighing everyone's opinions along with the research. My guess is that they stopped printing years on these tees around 1939 (the start of WWII) so they actually could be sold post WWII or 1945. Interesting thought, eh?

Thanks again for everyone's input!

We will have the shirt for sale on April, 1st 2010 via eBay.

Cheers!

Matthew
Vendetta Vintage

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

I love it when a plan comes together.

Post the listing in the auction alert section and we might be able to feature it. But I would also require shots without the Vendetta water mark to do so...
Jimmy J

Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Thanks Jimmy, I'll keep you posted and not a problem on the pictures.

CRAZYBUBBA

Post by CRAZYBUBBA »

Is Mr. Tanaka a member of the forum? Or did he contact you from elsewhere?
Have vintage Elvis tees? Let me know!