Ask advice and get tips from expert vintage sellers and buyers.
hermosavtg

eBay alternatives

Post by hermosavtg »

Anyone tried any? Is there a better online venue for selling vintage clothing? Or even better a venue that focuses specifically on vintage clothing?

Currently I'm migrating all my miscellaneous vintage bric-a-brac and kitsch items to Etsy, and using ebay only for selling vintage clothes and weekly auctions.

CRAZYBUBBA

Re: eBay alternatives

Post by CRAZYBUBBA »

eBay may have its drawbacks (can't leave real feedback, dishonest buyers, etc) but for the most part i think that there's no other place where you can find the same audience for vintage. I only sell ~ 15-20 items a year but my selling experiences have been largely pleasant and surprisingly lucrative.

I've listed some stuff on etsy before but it's never done well. I think that it's because the site is more difficult to navigate and the audience is smaller.
Have vintage Elvis tees? Let me know!

Frank

Post by Frank »

I sell books and movies etc on Amazon. It's kind of a "meh" selling venue- not much excitement or unique stuff. It's easy to list stuff and easy to collect, but really not all that much fun or that much money for that matter.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

There aren't any alternatives - eBay has the monopoly locked up. Yahoo tried and failed with their auction site. Google could pull it off - I thought they were working toward it when they started up the Google Checkout years ago.

For a competitor to be successful a mass eBay exodus would have to take place...people could only be swayed if it was a trusted company like Google with search engine power...and making it free for a year would help.
Jimmy J