Upload a photo of a vintage tee and a description of its condition and let the community appraise it.
Forum rules
We've authored a very detailed appraisal guide you can view here: http://www.defunkd.com/blog/2014/04/28/ ... e-t-shirt/
hokeypix

Re: Led Zeppelin 1977 US Tour tee?

Post by hokeypix »

FiftyFiftyMan wrote:Possibly, though I've never run across any. Perhaps some true vintage bootleg items are floating around. Official merch, I'm not sure. The only ones I saw on Ebay were retro babydoll & women's styles from only the last 10 years (with a few unscrupulous sellers trying to pass them off as period vintage). I'll keep my eye out for you.
Thank you, 50/50! Based on where I found it, and the quality/crackling of the screened art, and the softness of the fabric/holes, I hope it's authentic. Are there any other signs to look for to help ID a true vintage tee (since this doesn't have a tag) such as the stitching, seams, etc.?

I also found a 1985 Robin Trower "Beyond the Mist" US Tour tee in the same suitcase, which I can't find one example of online - see my post from the other day. No idea how to price it!

FiftyFiftyMan

Post by FiftyFiftyMan »

Without a tag, you have to look at the print. Does it look generic? American Eagle, Lucky Brand etc specialize in faux vintage tees i.e. Joe's Boxing Parlor or some such gimmick. True vintage are usually going to be more specific, to an actual place or event. Also look for small print and the general feel of the fabric. Most true vintage were a cotton/poly mix, often times very thin. Tri blends with rayon are the best vintage shirts, and are usually easy to spot by their feel, and they are usually vintage as well. Although I have a newer tri-blend shirt by Alternative Earth that I swear, without the tag, I'd be duped into thinking was straight from 1978.

hokeypix

Post by hokeypix »

Figured I'd post a better shot of it, on a human person.
Attachments
Led Zeppelin 1977 US Tour tee?