Ask advice and get tips from expert vintage sellers and buyers.
oscar

Re: eBay Report Item Experiment

Post by oscar »

Yesh

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Update: 8 people reported participating by submitting to the report items button.

Nevertheless, the item successfully closed out:

Ended: Jul 11, 201103:25:34 EDT
Bid history: 13 bids
Winning bid: US $41.00

http://cgi.ebay.ca/VINTAGE-T-SHIRT-PRIN ... 6975569030

I had my suspicions that button was just a mirage, having filled out many reports over the years - looks to be a waste of time.

I'll keep monitoring - sometimes they take action after the sale..which seems a little useless given many times the item has already been paid for and shipped.

Stay tuned...
Jimmy J

matmin

Post by matmin »

done too

hermosavtg

Post by hermosavtg »

jimmyj wrote: I had my suspicions that button was just a mirage, having filled out many reports over the years - looks to be a waste of time.
I think that button is there for VERO participants or items that are gross violations of ebay policy. Selling your own kidney or pro nazi memorabilia are the only things that come to mind. :roll:

Tinalove is well in the gray area along with all the other sellers peddling their flea market knock off tees on the 'Bay.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

The VeRO program is a little more involved, you have to fax in an initial application, then subsequent ones are done electronically - but there is still a form involved and you have to sign off on it every time.

http://pages.ebay.com/vero/about.html

The weird thing is that you don't actually have to provide any proof - you just sign under the penalty of perjury.

I got a few unfair VeRO reports against me back in the day as a seller - filed by Machette marketing who were licensed to sell Exploited, Stray Cats and a few other punk shirts. I tried to protest both of them - but eBay doesn't listen - they take that faxed document and a signature as the law - even if the person doesn't truly own the rights - or is just a licensee leveraging the eBay VeRO system so they can sell more of their own t-shirts.
Jimmy J

Frank

Post by Frank »

I got popped on a VERO "violation" last week. I was selling a Los Angeles Sheriff's Dept parody shirt and got a VERO email less than a day it listed. I nicely explained that I would glad remove the listing, etc. but to no avail. Ebay also was less than responsive. I'm now "restricted" for a week- no new listings allowed. This is my second VERO in 10 years- the first was for listing an M n M's shirt about 7 years ago. I'm getting to the point where I don't want to list shirts on ebay anymore. Just venting- beware of listing cop stuff, even though it wasn't a badge or patch or ID, they don't care. Shocking, huh?

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

They take the VeRO stuff very seriously because it can result in a law suit against them. Pretty sure they have a limited amount of time to comply with the request - like a cease and desist - so they are quick on the draw - shoot first and don't ask questions later.

Classic eBay.

If only they would apply that policy towards bootleggers - but all of the fraud that successfully transpires on the system translates in to millions of dollars of earnings for them - so why bother?
Jimmy J

hermosavtg

Post by hermosavtg »

Ironic and disheartening that eBay is imposing selling limits for a seller with TRS status like you Frank.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

VintageRetroWear going through the VeRO stuff - he's no longer allowed to list anything new, ever again.
Jimmy J

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

On the bottom of the information page about the VeRO program, there is a "Contact Us" link (http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/que ... -item.html). England said sellers can use this link to submit appeals to VeRO report.

A few interesting reads, they're experiencing lots of problems with this - it amazes me that they still don't take reports seriously:

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/cab/abn/y11/m07/i18/s01

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y07/m09/i21/s02
Jimmy J