Ask advice and get tips from expert vintage sellers and buyers.
timetraveltees

Starting a Facebook Fan Page for My eBay Store

Post by timetraveltees »

Hey, I wondered if anyone could shed a little light on this for me. I know most of the big vintage sellers have Facebook fan pages and I'm getting to the point where I feel like I should have one too. The eBay rules about using customer contact info is a little muddy to me and I'm not completely sure if using their email addresses that I obtained from their PayPal payments to invite them to like my fan page would be against eBay TOS. Seems like they try to prevent you from sending out spam and stuff but I feel like this may be slightly different but maybe it's exactly the same in their eyes.

Anyway, just wanted to put it out there to see if anyone had any thoughts on the matter. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance!

- Mark
eBay Store: TimeTravelTees.com

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Starting a Facebook Fan Page for My eBay Store

Post by jimmyj »

I dont think eBay should have any say about you contacting your customers - nor would they be able to find out. But the question is will it annoy your customers being contacted when they didnt opt in? Likely yes. But if you offer them something off the top...like a substantial discount code for your defunkd store ;) they'll be less likely to report it as spam.

Sending them to a Facebook page isnt all that exciting...but definitely include it along with your special offer.

Finally, if youre emailing out like this- why send them to a platform that charges you for every sale? Pack your defunkd store and direct them there and avoid paying fees.
Jimmy J