Upload a photo of a vintage tee and a description of its condition and let the community appraise it.
Forum rules
We've authored a very detailed appraisal guide you can view here: http://www.defunkd.com/blog/2014/04/28/ ... e-t-shirt/
atomicpassion

The classic "what's it worth?" question.

Post by atomicpassion »

Hi everyone!
Like most of you, I'm a vintage t lover.
Always have been.
I love them.
As much as it kills me, it's time to start selling my most loved t's.
I bought all 3 of these at a dark and dirty paterson salvation army in new jersey about 20 years ago.
One at a time, randomly placed i spent hours there thinking "omg, are there more?".
So these are my 3 favorites of all times, and i have to sell them to pay bills..

Any info of their value would be greatly appreciated!
I can only post 5 photo so all 3 have southern labels.
the last one says "FRIENDLY ICE CREAM" same color and size of texaco also with the number 3 sewn on the back. All small sizes 28 bust 20 long. All heavy thick cotton.

Thanks!
Gigi
Attachments
hand sewn felt on back of both
hand sewn felt on back of both
IMG_1164.JPG (90.51 KiB) Viewed 6073 times
texaco
texaco
IMG_1159.JPG (53.8 KiB) Viewed 6073 times
beaver tag
beaver tag
IMG_1196.JPG (76.17 KiB) Viewed 6073 times
beaver front
beaver front
IMG_1201.JPG (53.27 KiB) Viewed 6073 times
beaver back
beaver back
IMG_1209.JPG (117.14 KiB) Viewed 6073 times

atomicpassion

Re: The classic "what's it worth?" question.

Post by atomicpassion »

heres the friendly t shirt and tags..
Attachments
IMG_1214.JPG (75.02 KiB) Viewed 6072 times
IMG_1171.JPG (69.44 KiB) Viewed 6072 times

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Very cool! Here's my thoughts on value:

1. Prob late 40s / 50s Russell tags

http://www.defunkd.com/blog/2010/12/02/ ... -athletic/

2. For Mobil and Texaco - they get a bump because there are collectors who go nuts for anything history of the automobile / gas station memorabilia. Although it's typically items with old logos they can hang on their garage walls - old ads, gas pumps, etc.

3. The boys sizes takes it down a notch - it means it will take all people who buy to wear out of the equation. But it's also old enough to make it a piece people would just add to their closet.

As much as I hate to recommend eBay over Defunkd - I think you need a platform where car enthusiasts frequent rather than just vintage t-shirt lovers - because the t-shirt angle isn't the biggest selling point I don't think.

It should be listed in a vintage auto memorabilia section that those collectors constantly monitor for goodies.

Make sure to put "vintage" "t-shirt" "1950s" but more importantly "texaco" and perhaps other car related terms. List em both at the same time and write in each listing to check out the other.

Would love to see what other tees you have up your sleeves! Thanks for joining! J
Jimmy J

atomicpassion

Post by atomicpassion »

awesome thanks!
i actually found your blog while googling these labels!
my hard drive crashed on sunday,with all the photos on it,
so now i have to get back to my storage to retake the photos to list those t's and a few for this site.. so give me a few days, and i'll list some goodies here!