Upload a photo and let the community weigh in on the authenticity of your t-shirt.
myktrader

70s The Allman Brothers Band Brothers and Sisters Tee

Post by myktrader »

Hi guys,

I got this tshirt at thrift shop last 2 year. Make my own research end up still unclear about its authenticity. I contacted Defunkd(jimmy) on IG he help me and suggest me to post it on here. Hopefully you guys if any information about this tshirt can help me and sharing here

Thanks!!

Detail:-
▪︎got this shirt on like new condition almost deadstock.
▪︎ double stitching both arm & below.
▪︎ using unbrand tag I never seen before. Its shown made in San Francisco California.
▪︎100% cotton
▪︎Medium size with manual measurement 19x25.5 inch

Photo detail shown as below.
Attachments
Pit to pit measurement
Pit to pit measurement
Stitching from inside
Stitching from inside
Arm & below front stitching
Arm & below front stitching
Shirt lenght measurement
Shirt lenght measurement
Label tag show 'Made in S.F. Calif.' and 'do not bleach or dump on the road'. I never seen before.
Label tag show 'Made in S.F. Calif.' and 'do not bleach or dump on the road'. I never seen before.
Ring neck
Ring neck

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: 70s The Allman Brothers Band Brothers and Sisters Tee

Post by jimmyj »

Thanks for posting here! This is an interesting one.

Initially, I thought the 19" p2p was a bit of a red flag, seems quite big for a 70s M, but then realized that it's deadstock, it just hasn't been washed yet, so that checks out.

Obviously, the one-color print can be a red flag since they are usually the first targets for counterfeiters.

The tag seems vaguely familiar, could be because it reminds me of a generic FOTL pre-Screen Stars tag. But we have no record of this one in our database.

#RN 61066 pulls up this in a search:

JOPAPI
1384 BROADWAY
NEW YORK
NEW YORK

But no other information can be found.

the "dump on the road" on the tag is familiar too, I've seen that on other 70s tees.

Of course, the super interesting thing is the double stitching throughout. If this checks out to be legit, then we can add it to our list of the many exceptions to the single stitch rule.

What do you guys think?
Jimmy J

Ragrat

Post by Ragrat »

I would say not authentic for a few reasons, but I could be wrong. First, Southeast Asia has been making vintage tshirt fakes since the early 2000s, long before there were Instagram pages documenting it. When I was there in 2017, the selection of 70s band prints on vintage feel shirts was pretty mind blowing, but a lot less so once you realized they were freshly printed fakes. The origin alone would make me hesitant. Also, I could only find one other reference for this print on Google, and it is from the exact same single show, on a light blue blank instead of orange, and it's a Thai website. It also appears to be a deadstock example. It is possible that 2 deadstock tees from a single Allman Brothers show in 1973 on 2 different color blanks popped up in Southeast Asia, but I'd call it highly unlikely.

maxvintage

Post by maxvintage »

I believed this to be real and agreed to buy it...but now don't believe that it is. The print size isn't quite right when compared to the original.
Attachments

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Good eye Max.

Here's a side by side of the rear print, with a true version, yellow, that was featured in a book.

You can see it's wrong. All of the fonts are off. On the true version the fonts are bolder, and look to be italicized. Whoever put this together got lazy and decided to just find similar fonts. The spacing is also completely off, between the letters and between the lines.

I've included a second example of this print as well, sourced from WorthPoint - sold nearly 10 years ago in 2013.
Attachments
Jimmy J

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

So now we know the print is not legit.

But what about the shirt, was this printed on a true vintage blank? That may be the case given it seems to be so obscure. Or is the double stitching an indication that this is a modern tee?

Maybe the tag was sewn in?

I used the RN dating method with 61066 and got an estimate of 1977. (Thanks to Captain's Vintage for the tip.)

61066 (RN#)
Subtract 13670 (First RN number issued)
= 47396

Divided by 2635 (Avg number of RNs issued per year)
= 18

18 + 1959

=1977

Everyone who mentions this method has a disclaimer that it's not an exact science, but it's not far off. It's definitely something I want to test further in a future post.

Gotta keep our eyes out for other examples of this tag, if anyone sees one please let us know.
Jimmy J