Upload a photo and let the community weigh in on the authenticity of your t-shirt.
bozcovintage

Vintage sonic youth goo T-Shirt Jensen Apparel Brand

Post by bozcovintage »

Good day guys. Would like to ask for legit check for this sonic youth Goo on Jensen Apparel shirt.
Attachments

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Vintage sonic youth goo T-Shirt Jensen Apparel Brand

Post by jimmyj »

Well, surprisingly, the tag could be legit. I knew it looked familiar and then looked in our archives and I found the exact same tag on a shirt I had listed in 2014.

https://www.defunkd.com/product/JI14115 ... st-bear-s/

BUT there are also tons of deadstock of these floating around on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114059312119

Probably because it's 100% polyester, yikes. If it is fake, the counterfeiter made a poor choice in tees.

I dug around to compare your print to others - and I can't find any consistency with any of them. Sometimes the box around them is there, sometimes it's missing. This print is so widely copied it's tough to wade through what an original print should look like.

The other odd part is the back - couldn't find any other examples of a shirt like yours. Most of them don't have a back. So it's a little odd for a bootlegger to add an additional print, with color, when they don't have to. But perhaps that's in response to this print being so widely copied, they wanted to differentiate it from the pack.

I'm a little stumped but in an instance like this I would just mark it suspect until I could get more info.

Going to reach out to a Sonic Youth expert to see what his comments are.
Jimmy J

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Update - I spoke with him and he doesn't think it's an original. He said there's a very specific detail this is missing that disqualifies it.

The back is taken directly from the CD so it wouldn't be hard to capture that detail.

Given that Jensen tees are so widely available as deadstock....I didn't dig too much into the company's history - it looks as though they are now defunct. BUT it looks as though they continued to manufacture in the USA - so we can't apply the logic that because it's made in the USA - it's pre 2000s.

All I can say is that something could have been printed on these as late as 8 years ago, because I had a tee on this tag 8 years ago.

This is one of those prints that is so muddled by reprints that it almost makes the value of most of them moot.
Jimmy J

bozcovintage

Post by bozcovintage »

Very nice and sincere info sharing. Thanks alot Jimmy.

I still doubt the status of this sonic youth tee, but I feel like it's more to reprint perhaps.

Just asking you guys incase you happened to see those tee sold on any mart or something.

By the way, thanks again ya šŸ˜€