Upload a photo and let the community weigh in on the authenticity of your t-shirt.
pisces

Nirvana vestibule: vintage check

Post by pisces »

Hi! I've had this t-shirt for years ( I'm 42 ), it was given to me by a friend who had it since his youth but it was too big for him ( It's a large or extra large): tag has been removed sadly: so how can I check if it's the real thing?
Thanks!

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Nirvana vestibule: vintage check

Post by jimmyj »

Please upload a high res shot of just the front print, and the neckline where the tag was - it looks like there are remnants of a tag there?
Jimmy J

pisces

Post by pisces »

These ok?:

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

How long have you had it, and when did he have it?

It's a one-color print, which are the hardest things to authenticate. Thankfully it has elements to it that are tough pull off if you're copying it - the boots tend to miss the fine details in the circles of hell. So print comparison checks out. But I see versions of this kicking around from 89 and 92, and beyond.

Given the tag is white, it might be 1989 - after searching I found they seem to land on FOTL labels.

You could measure the width of the remnants of the tag and then compare it to a FOTL tag. I have one I can measure here.

Also, what is the pit to pit?

While digging I also noticed last year they were sued over this design and beat it.
Jimmy J

colin

Post by colin »

I think this one is from 92ish? I have seen some older ones with different tags, such as the ones I have posted below. This one is older, doesn't have the 92 mark and also has a unique tag.

Not saying it's not from earlier, but yeah. I've only seen actual sub pop ones on a FOTL tag; not a vestibule, but i've also never seen one of the tags posted below in the wild on the shirts, also. Just some feedback! :D It does look real from the pics you posted...
Attachments

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Good catch! Didn't take that into consideration. I just rechecked and both of these tees on a FOTL had the subpop logo.

I saw another one with a Stedman tag, but no sub pop.

The white tag remnants threw me off - as it doesn't look wide enough to be a Hanes or Stedman?
Jimmy J

pisces

Post by pisces »

Hi again. The tag measures 3 cm wide.
Pit to pit is 57 cm.
It must be from after 92, not before. We were in our teens (90's) when we were grungers at those times :)