Help build a resource for vintage t-shirt brands by discussing and posting photos of old labels.
zargosh

Hanes tag with Winterland RN

Post by zargosh »

Hey, Jimmy. Let me know if you see anything off here. I'm truly puzzled...

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: what's wrong with this picture

Post by jimmyj »

Well, the first thing I thought is the 100% cotton part looks off. Big gap between - overall seems bigger in that block of blue.

And MADE IN U.S.A. Seemed kinda cramped.

But then I started comparing to our archives - and man, these Hanes tags have a TON of variances - was able to find similar stuff.

I didn't look into the backside though.

What you are spotting?
Jimmy J

zargosh

Post by zargosh »

Check out the RN number. It's Tour Sportswear, which I think is really Winterland. At first I thought the reverse might just be a picture from the wrong tag (I saw it on an eBay listing), but the pic is transparent enough that you can see the Hanes front through the reverse.

I didn't think Hanes had anything to do with Winterland, but maybe I just don't know about it.

Also, I don't think this style of 80s Hanes tags generally had an RN number on the reverse in the first place. Weird.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Ahh, what's the shirt that it's on? It's only recently that I started looking at the back of tags because of all these new fake tags coming out.
Jimmy J

zargosh

Post by zargosh »

Here's some shots of the shirt.

It's from this listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/125309620352
And here's a Tour Sportswear tag from an '85 Chicago shirt that somebody posted on defunkd a while back. It's hard to tell because the shot of the reverse is bent, but the washing instructions and icons look to be identical on the two tags. Maybe they were all printed at the same plant and somebody screwed up on the Hanes one.
i.png (117.73 KiB) Viewed 1382 times

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

A bit stumped by this, but as I mentioned, it's been only recently I started turning tags over. Let's keep this on our radar, but good eye. I can't imagine someone went through all the trouble of forging that shirt and then mess up the RN number.

Winterland items were often on Hanes, in our brand guide the writer says:

"In ’88 Winterland was sold to MCA, and most t-shirts from that sale until 1991 were printed on Hanes."

https://www.defunkd.com/winterland/

But your tee is 1983.

Let's see what else we can find out there! Good eye as usual! I'm going to change the title of this post a touch so it's easier to find.

BTW - I noticed these photos aren't uploaded to the forum - hoping they don't get removed by where ever you are hosting at some point as the post would become pointless.
Jimmy J

zargosh

Re: Hanes tag with Winterland RN

Post by zargosh »

That's a much better title for the post, I should have led with that!

I'm not sure what's going on with the photos, but it's weirder than the tag. I don't use a hosting site or anything like that. I attached them to the message in the usual way by uploading them from my laptop through Attachments->Add Files.

What do you see on your end that says they're being hosted somewhere?

Here's what I'm seeing if I go in to edit that post. It looks hunky dory from here.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

My bad! Maybe my developer made a change - usually it says "attachments" - and I also noticed none are sideways, have you noticed that recently? Thanks for the details!
Jimmy J

zargosh

Post by zargosh »

Ah, cool. Yeah, nothing's been coming up sideways in the last little bit of time, so maybe they worked that bug out. I do remember seeing a recent post by somebody else where everything was sideways, but maybe the poster uploaded them that way. I can't remember what the post was, though, otherwise I'd link it here