Help build a resource for vintage t-shirt brands by discussing and posting photos of old labels.
bfhermann

Year of this Southern Athletic tag on Hendrix Shirt?

Post by bfhermann »

Hey all! I picked up this Jimi Hendrix shirt with a tag that I think is late 60’s to early 70’s. Was wondering if anyone had a more accurate guess on year production? Of course I’m interested to know if this shirt was printed prior to Hendrix’s death in 1970. Thanks so much for any information and expertise. Cheers!
Attachments
vintage jimi hendrix t-shirt
vintage jimi hendrix t-shirt
southern athletic tag
southern athletic tag

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Year of this Southern Athletic tag on Hendrix Shirt?

Post by jimmyj »

I don't have a great read on when those tags first emerged off hand. But we do have a few examples in our database:

https://www.defunkd.com/brand/southern-athletic/

It could be late 60s. But I'll ask Max who has a far better pulse on these types of tees than I.

And, one color prints always set off alarm bells - as far as being very easy to reproduce.

Where did you get it?
Jimmy J

maxvintage

Post by maxvintage »

The shirt itself is definitely old, however it's a relatively common iron-on/heat transfer graphic. Therefore it's really hard to say when the graphic was applied to the shirt. There was a dubious etsy seller who had loads and loads of these types of shirts for sale and might still be selling them. The seller basically put old iron-ons and in some cases new ones on old shirts.

bfhermann

Post by bfhermann »

jimmyj wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:53 am I don't have a great read on when those tags first emerged off hand. But we do have a few examples in our database:

https://www.defunkd.com/brand/southern-athletic/

It could be late 60s. But I'll ask Max who has a far better pulse on these types of tees than I.

And, one color prints always set off alarm bells - as far as being very easy to reproduce.

Where did you get it?
Thanks for reply!

I'm constantly scanning Ebay for treasures. Picked this shirt up from there from a seller that sells all kinds of vintage clothing.

bfhermann

Post by bfhermann »

maxvintage wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:08 am The shirt itself is definitely old, however it's a relatively common iron-on/heat transfer graphic. Therefore it's really hard to say when the graphic was applied to the shirt. There was a dubious etsy seller who had loads and loads of these types of shirts for sale and might still be selling them. The seller basically put old iron-ons and in some cases new ones on old shirts.
Thanks for your input!

Is there any way to judge if the heat transfer is original to the shirt versus applied later? I will say that the image and letters looks appropriate and matching to the shirt; of course... I'm no expert on the subject.

bfhermann

Post by bfhermann »

***UPDATE***

I asked the seller if they knew any info on the background of the shirt, and this was their reply:

“It was sold on consignment for a client who’s father worked for a radio station in New York from the 60s- early 80s”

Of course they could say anything but thought it was interesting additional info.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Yeah unfortunately even if 100% accurate and legit - because these are transfers - they can be added to any blank, so the value takes a huge hit.
Jimmy J

bfhermann

Post by bfhermann »

jimmyj wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:32 pm Yeah unfortunately even if 100% accurate and legit - because these are transfers - they can be added to any blank, so the value takes a huge hit.
Understood. I really appreciate all the expertise. I don't ever sell any shirts, I only collect, so if the value isn't high it's no biggie to me, and I didn't pay very much for the shirt anyway. Thanks again for all the help. Cheers!
bruce