Help build a resource for vintage t-shirt brands by discussing and posting photos of old labels.
VP's

Nike Blue Tag tee- Jordans?

Post by VP's »

Hi Vintage enthusiasts,

Does anyone know the history/value of this Nike Blue Tag tee? Is it a Jordan sneaker promo tee? Link is below. Thanks

VP's

http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-NIKE-80s-Bl ... 518d87dc0a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Nike Blue Tag tee- Jordans?

Post by jimmyj »

I think Nike blue tag was 80s/early 90s. They Look like Nike Flights to me - don't think it's Jordan related.
Jimmy J

chasemac

Post by chasemac »

Yo VP, if any tee is my specialty it's the nike tee.

(1978-83) The Orange Tag was obviously the first, which was the plain white tag with the orange swoosh. When Bowerman and Knight switched from Blue Ribbon Sports this is when the Nike chain of tags started.

(1984-88) The Blue Tag started in '84 the year Jordan was signed and lingered into 1988. There have also been spottings of the blue tag in '89 and even '90. Maybe leftover blanks or what not. I believe they stopped producing the blue tag once summer time hit in '88 though.

(1988-93) The Grey Tag with the red swoosh took over after that which was really the last signature tag they used. At the end of this era is when they really begun making jerseys as well and sponsoring actual teams.

Over the past 15 years they have used several different marketing campaigns and in turn have used several different tags to go with those campaigns.

As far as the value, that's always tough. It's worth more to some than others obviously. The print is the toughest part because retro prints on the left chest don't sell as well as a sick print covering the entire front. I would value it around $80 because of the Jordan influence. Those are definitely not flights because 1989 is when Flights started and they don't even look like Flights so I don't know where that came from. They are definitely the Jordan 1s

Your shirt looks like it is from early 1985. Like I said, value is always touchy because some would pay more than others, but I would go for $80-$85. Hope this helps, peace!

Frank

Post by Frank »

awesome stuff, thanks Chase

i found a lot of cool Nike stuff in their company Annual Report. They have them archived all the way back to 1983. Interesting reading- as you can imagine, everything changed with the success of Air Jordans.

VP's

Post by VP's »

Thanks for the info Chase! I love the Nike Blue Tag tees.