Ask advice and get tips from expert vintage sellers and buyers.
jimmyj
Site Admin

Forgive me Father for I have Sinned

Post by jimmyj »

After a two year hiatus from selling vintage on the bay I put up some listings over the weekend. Mostly goods that aren't vintage tee related.

My experience with listing was a frustrating one. Numerous crashes and malfunctions with the photo pop-up, although it is much fancier. At times it would tell me I hadn't added pictures, when I had. Other times the pop-up was incomplete - didn't have the proper content to access my hardrive and upload. Or just open complete blank.

The listing fields also locked up quite frequently - there was a few instances where I just had to refresh the page and start again because it wouldn't let me input into a field for some reason.

Is this common or just a weird occurrence? I only tried with Firefox.

I know our listing page doesn't much in the way of bells and whistles, but found all the hoops you have to jump through on eBay's has inspired me to make ours even simpler and quicker.

Anywho - here's the stuff.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/defunkd_vintage ... 7675.l2562

I must admit though, monitoring watchers and bids is still fun. Got some bids within a few hours!
Jimmy J

mrs_stout

Re: Forgive me Father for I have Sinned

Post by mrs_stout »

I started selling on the bay again, too, though I'm not crazy about it. Like you, still enjoy the monitoring :) I had started selling on bonanza, but was unceremoniously banned and given absolutely no reason.

Advice: get thee away from Firefox. Download Google Chrome and enjoy the wonders of that browser (although Chrome's got a couple of glitches with incompatible sites, it's still my browser of choice). I think you'll love it.

BTW -- nice items! I suspect you won't start seeing real bid activity until 1-2 days before they're scheduled to end. And for the most part, the days of bidding wars are gone. :(

mrs_stout

Post by mrs_stout »

And hush my mouth -- that Umbro Liverpool is quite the hot ticket!

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Ha ya both jerseys have 25+ watchers - the champion shirt is in third.

But the polo sport stuff is falling flat...apparently that market has died quite a bit. :(
Jimmy J

bodhi

Post by bodhi »

jimmyj wrote:Ha ya both jerseys have 25+ watchers - the champion shirt is in third.

But the polo sport stuff is falling flat...apparently that market has died quite a bit. :(
I've done quite well over the last year with soccer jerseys. Rabid fans :)

That Ivan Lendl piece will probably do well also, although not sure how the sweater vest market is doing these days. I had a Lendl racquet bag maybe 2 years ago that brought in decent money.

As for the Polo RL stuff, it can be hit or miss. 4-5 years ago I sold a RL rugby shirt for $900. I've since seen the same design barely cracking $300. On the flip side, I sold a $250 RL wool cardigan last week, and a $100 RL hoodie this week, so the demand is still there. I pretty regularly sell run-of-the-mill RL shirts for $20-40. Chaps RL and Polo Sport never seem to do as well.

RyanB

Post by RyanB »

I use Mozilla and don't really have any issues listing on ebay. There have been a couple occasions where a couple pics wouldn't show up, but I was able to fix it every time.

The nice thing is now you get (I think) 50 free auction style listings at the beginning of each month. So I keep listing and relisting until I use that up and then wait. lol

mrs_stout

Post by mrs_stout »

Ryan, I do the same thing you do, although I also take advantage of the "by invitation only" promos. I just got one for free listings from 12/6-12/16. There's another free listing promo open to everyone right now if you list in Sports Fan/Memorabilia category. That one's good until 12/31, which works out great since the user ID I have with my son deals specifically in (mostly) vintage fan gear. If you notice in my defunkd shop, I have a good amount of vintage sports t-shirts.

Like bodhi, I've always done relatively well with any RL items, but I tend to stay away from Chaps, which is RL's lower line. Polo Sport seems to have fallen flat; even the PS bear items don't do as well.

I do come across a fair amount of soccer shirts/jerseys, but never pick them up because I don't know much about them. What should I be looking for? Any tips?

waxandthreads

Post by waxandthreads »

I never do well auctioning Polo anything, but can pretty much stay consistent with reasonably priced Buy It Nows.