Help build a resource for vintage t-shirt brands by discussing and posting photos of old labels.
amierkhairan

Re: Screen Stars Tag, real or fake.

Post by amierkhairan »

Is this fake or real ? What year is this and the market for this shirt ?
Attachments
Screen Stars Tag, real or fake.

Pacaveli

Post by Pacaveli »

Hey can you tell me what a vintage this is. Thanks
Attachments

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Prob mid to late 90s?
Jimmy J

Jan56

Post by Jan56 »

I have the same thing on a sweater from '95
Attachments

Dontcallmedave

Post by Dontcallmedave »

Just got this Black Flag tee. Screen Stars tag. Double tagged. Double stitched. Classic 50/50 Heather and feel. Legit? Specific year?
Attachments

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Thanks for sharing Dave (oops sorry!)

This one is kinda bizarre, to be honest. But I've been documenting SS tags made outside of the USA on our main guide:

https://www.defunkd.com/blog/2016/12/06 ... -timeline/

Canada, Ireland, but never remember seeing Honduras, ever. Let alone a double tag like that. Very cool. I think it's a legit vintage Screen Stars t-shirt (or tag at least.) Maybe a remote chance someone found a vintage blank and printed on it?

A colleague of mine is a little suspicious of the collar, it looks a little off. Maybe it's a sewn-in tag?

Can you share a photo of the collar, flat, not all twisted up.

Can you share a photo of the print? What's the pit to pit measurement?

But I'll loop in some others on this too and post this on our Instagram.
Jimmy J

Dontcallmedave

Post by Dontcallmedave »

Right on! Seems different to me as well and I can find very little on it. Only one other example currently. It’s a screenshot of a tag on an eBay listing that is up. The similar eBay tag is the white shirt in the series of images. I believe it to be a mid 90s bootleg. The info from the seller was that it came from a collector in the town they (BF) were from. Lots of other legit merch. Thanks for the thoughts!
Attachments

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Awesome thanks for sharing the photos. I'm always suspicious of one-color prints, and Black Flag tees over the years have been a target of bootleggers due to the simplicity of a lot of their shirts.

So yeah, look at the collar - it's a double-stitched.

Can you please share the link to the eBay listing with the other double tag? I'll put together an IG post and direct people here.
Jimmy J

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Is this the one you purchased? https://www.ebay.com/itm/154757117723 or another instance of this tee on the same tag?

There are a lot of red flags on this black flag shirt. Check out this side-by-side with another shirt... a lot of missing details (click on it for a close-up). For one, the L and A aren't connected (a quick search and I couldn't find any other instances like that on google images.) On yours, the blocks almost look like they have rounded corners. The styling on the ends of the font is more subtle. On yours, parts of the fingers and thumbs are missing.

As previously mentioned, Black Flag has been a big target for counterfeits because of the one color and mostly pretty simple designs.

So I wouldn't give this shirt a pass.

But I'm also super curious about this Honduras Screen Stars tag and when that was in production. Does anyone have info or any other instances they can share?
Attachments
side by side black flag my rules shirt
side by side black flag my rules shirt
Jimmy J