Upload a photo and let the community weigh in on the authenticity of your t-shirt.
TrickyGuns

academy clothing vs stormcrow

Post by TrickyGuns »

The geniuses at Academy Clothiers had this shirt listed. I offered them 30 bones because i was at work and on my blackberry when i acted. didn't see the seller. Later found out it was these dickwads, but for 30 bucks i can find some use for the shirt, even if its completely bogus. ANYWAY, i forgot Tates has this up too, and obviously his is the real deal. Check out the comparison, look how much darker the print is, IE the chick on the left laying down (is she black?!). What do you guys think, old (of the time) concert parking lot bootleg or modern day fake?

Academy
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stormcrow
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-GUNS-80s-T- ... x_T_Shirts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hermosavtg

Re: academy clothing vs stormcrow

Post by hermosavtg »

Guessing from the photos I'd say that Academy's is the real deal. I've bought a couple shirts from them in the past at a bargain that have all been authentic. I have never seen the "gurney" tag so I'm guessing that LA Guns merch did not have the strictest QA back in the day ;)

The proof will be in the pudding! I'll love to see a good detail photo review.

TrickyGuns

Post by TrickyGuns »

Its so obvious I'm gonna receive an authentic vintage but just for shits and giggles ill post detailed pics when I receive it. :p

It looks like the back bottom hem is coming undone. Either its an old bootleg or they really went through some trouble to rough it up. Bitches.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

I just checked their inventory - they have a handful of black shirts in mint condition with no tag...in addition to their regular selection of white ones with no tag.

It's also important to note: they never describe anything in their store as mint, even though it clearly is in the photo. Partially because having a mint t-shirt with no tag is a red flag - also because people are now skeptical of deadstock stuff - and of course because they are lazy.

It all comes back to the Humpty shirt I bought - white shirt, mint shape, tag removed from the collar. What is the explanation for a store full of mint shirts with the tag removed?

I think the Guns shirt you bought is in mint shape - it just looks like that on the back, but I don't think it's undone.

And I would bet the shirt will appear again in their stock sometime soon.

Please update us when it arrives.

Not everything in their store is fake, but a good percentage of it is.

Hey Hermosa - what shirts did you buy and were they mint? did they have tags?
Jimmy J

TrickyGuns

Post by TrickyGuns »

Will probably get it on Monday, but i couldn't resist asking in the meantime..

"There isn't a tag. I always try to include a picture of the tag if it's still there.

Emily

- academyclothiers"

Ohh Emily, you slay me. Do they at least print on 50/50 deadstock blanks?

hermosavtg

Post by hermosavtg »

http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-1991-GUNS-N ... 0442825006

That's the only shirt I absolutely remembered buying from them. It was obviously an authentic vintage deadstock shirt. Probably they bought a big deadstock lot of those.

Johnny65

Post by Johnny65 »

The Academy Clothiers is a reproduction.

No question.

You can tell by looking at the detail of the girls face that's on her knees. (pic #2)

Sorry TrickyGuns.

http://worn75.blogspot.com/

TrickyGuns

Post by TrickyGuns »

We already know it's a repro broham. Wondering if it's a parking lot bootleg though of the time. Judging from the email about the mysterious missing tag i have a feeling its a modern day fake. This shirt isnt popular though, why would they waste screens on it?

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Things are getting confusing with definitions here -

It is a modern day fake, that's what johnny65 is saying. True vintage parking lot bootlegs are actually okay around these parts, because they are actually vintage. That to me looks like a modern day repro of a parking lot bootleg. A bootleg, bootleg so to speak.

I wouldn't say L.A. Guns would be a risky investment for bootlegs...but some of their other choices, Huey Lewis, etc - either way they only cost them a few dollars to print, another few bucks for the shirt - so it's still decent profit even if they only get $10.

Let's see if that shirt gets re-listed, that will be the nail in the coffin.
Jimmy J

TrickyGuns

Post by TrickyGuns »

They couldn't even get their hands on a true original to make their copies from? Lame.

Will filing a claim help to aid in the hanging of these guys or is there no stopping them?

Ps. I would just buy stormcrows but its a couple inches too small for me :)