Help build a resource for vintage t-shirt brands by discussing and posting photos of old labels.
hazarudden

Re: Anyone heard of Velva Sheen?

Post by hazarudden »

hazarudden wrote:I got this Velva Sheen tag. But until today i never seen like this? Anyone know in what era this tag? I tried my best to take a picture of the tag but its already faded. Stated VS and next to VS is Velva Sheen.Tag is in white color and the words is in red.
I believe this tag is same with this. But this is not mine.
Attachments
Anyone heard of Velva Sheen?
VS.jpg (132.17 KiB) Viewed 11638 times

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Wow, I've never seen that one before either. What designs are on the t-shirts with that tag?
Jimmy J

hazarudden

Post by hazarudden »

jimmyj wrote:Wow, I've never seen that one before either. What designs are on the t-shirts with that tag?

JJ,

There is no design...just a plaint ringer t-shirt with wording "williams"
Attachments
Anyone heard of Velva Sheen?
Velva Sheen 1.jpg (19.78 KiB) Viewed 11625 times

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

ahhh, ok - probably mid-late 1960s - I believe that's when ringers first appeared? Does anyone know when ringers were invented? I know they were huge in the 70s, but what decade were they conceived?

I'm gonna have to add that image to:

http://www.defunkd.com/2010/07/12/velva-sheen/
Jimmy J

Frank

Post by Frank »

I would say 70s

It seems like ringers didn't come around until the 70s

StivTaters

Post by StivTaters »

I'm sorry i can't help with the date of this particular shirt, but the mid 60's first gave birth to a beautiful, bouncing, baby ringer boy (or girl).

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringer_T-shirt
Jimmy J

paulyp1949

Post by paulyp1949 »

Yep! I worked at Velva-Sheen in Montgomery, Ohio during my Christmas and summer breaks in 1965-to 1967. Later the factory would be finished in Fairfax, Ohio. My best friend's father was part owner of the company (William and Bob Rielly).
They sold the bus to Beatrice Foods sometime later. I have many great memories of my days there working in the printing, shipping and receiving and finally in sales. It felt like being apart of a family the way that Bill treated everyone and it remains a dear memory to me even today some 48 years later.

Frank

Post by Frank »

Awesome! Got any old Velva Sheen shirts in the closet? :D

Seriously though, do you happen to have any old Velva Sheen letterhead, or brocures, or coffee mugs or pens or anyhing? I collect that kind of stuff.

stGeorgeFrederick

Post by stGeorgeFrederick »

I worked at college bookstore 1964-1968, and Velva Sheen was the primary supplier of college prints tees and sweatshirts. I even visited the plant in Cincinnati, then in a poor part of town. Charlie Lee was a great guy and had hired mostly derelicts and trained them, long before federal programs ever existed. I went into the Army and lost track, so not sure when they sold out.