Help build a resource for vintage t-shirt brands by discussing and posting photos of old labels.
ShirtSounds

T-Shirt Designer Roach?

Post by ShirtSounds »

I've actually been meaning to ask this for awhile, but does anyone know anything about Roach, the T-Shirt graphic designer? I've found two vintage shirts designed by him (a Purdue shirt and a random shirt about horny old ladies) and they both sold very, very quickly in my friend's boutique... just curious on the history, if anyone knows.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: T-Shirt Designer Roach?

Post by jimmyj »

Good Q. I had to look it up - I assumed it was one person too. Turns out it's actually a company founded by three people. And now they have repros...

roach-studios.com/art/Roach%20Vintage/Roach_Vintage.html
Jimmy J

VoodooVintage

Post by VoodooVintage »

We had a killer Harley shirt made by roach that we sold online and it was gone within 1 hour. I personally dig the Roach designs, very cool stuff.

They also have some very cool 420 tee's.

I wonder when they stopped making the designs?

ShirtSounds

Post by ShirtSounds »

Yeah, both designs I had (mid to late 70s) were awesome. When I found the Purdue shirt I thought he might have been some local designer. Didn't know it was an entire studio. Good designs.

roachstudios

Post by roachstudios »

Hello,
Roach was actually a studio with several well known artist. The company was founded in 1962 by a group of guys from Columbus, OH. After start up the company was purchased by Stan Peterson and his partner John Baird. They grew the company to 20+ Million and became the anchor for thousands of independent t-shirt retailers.
I have re-launched the company and in the process of establishing accounts with retailers for the reproductions of the entire collection of RoAcH art. Please visit the roach-studios.com website for a look at the very beginning of the effort. I am starting with licensed auto designs, but will be adding many new design this summer. I am including ski, surf, bikes, and humor. Does anyone have a design that they would like to see in the market?
Sincerely,
BP

waxandthreads

Post by waxandthreads »

Roach,
Just curious, will the new shirts still be heat transfers? Tons of great Roach designs, but I always loved it when the shirt was 2-sided and had the giant Roach logo on the back.

theeteetotaler

Post by theeteetotaler »

I've probably got about 20k old iron ons from the 70s and 80s, many by Roach. I feel the market on those isn't what it was 5+ years ago, i was thinking of listing them on ebay but i don't think i'd be getting much for them.

roachstudios

Post by roachstudios »

Thanks for the comments. I am not using transfers for the production at this time. Good old screen printing and a new digital process. I am creating a distressed image with the content and using a quality fashion t-shirt. I am trying to create more than just the old transfer on a basic tee. Much of the art I own has not been sold in a long time. I am also licensing, so stay tuned for more new stuff as well. Thanks BP