Notify the community about interesting vintage tee auctions that deserve to be showcased on our blog.
hermosavtg

$1500 Deep Throat

Post by hermosavtg »

Saw this on the for all to envy blog (one of the busiest vintage threads blogers out there!) http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1970s-1972- ... 0436587430

I'm skeptical since it ended in "best offer." I mean, who's to know if it was a serious offer and ever paid for?

VP's

Re: $1500 Deep Throat

Post by VP's »

My guess is that this is a hoax. No one in their right mind should be paying $1500 for that tee. Although very cool, it is certainly not worth that much. Maybe $200-300.
VintagePimps

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Economy is in the toilet and the price of gold and vintage t-shirts is soaring. Go figure.
Jimmy J

lord ched

Post by lord ched »

A lot of questionable shirts and questionable prices in that store: a suspicious dependence on one-colour prints (granted, on waaaay back in the day shirts). Plus, that Police shirt: $600? CAH-MAN!

bandito

Post by bandito »

I always am suspicious of a shirt that has a faded tag and a crisp print.........but that is just me.

ItsKosher

Post by ItsKosher »

I'd just like to post a quick rebuttal. I'm the seller of this shirt (and by the way the buyer never paid...) and I'd like to say it's totally legit. The tag is correct for the age and if you saw it in person you would see for yourself how thin and aged it is. I know the prices in my store are high, but I don't want to part with them for less. As to the one color prints - I find them most asthetically pleasing so that is why my collection features a lot of them. Anywho, I just really wanted to say that I am a collector as well and I would never sell anything that was not truly vintage. Wearing history is what it is all about!

cheers! Matt

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

I never had any doubts on the authenticity of your goods.

T-shirts were mostly printed with one color back then anyway, right? When did the multiple color era really take off?

I don't think t-shirt printers from the 50s-60s used the same printing process. I know the ink definitely wasn't the same. With really old shirts it seems more like the ink was dying the fabric rather than sitting on top of it.
Jimmy J

lord ched

Post by lord ched »

I definitely shot first and asked questions later. My apologies, sir, for vilifying your goods.

ItsKosher

Post by ItsKosher »

No worries my good friends. I am very proud of my collection and I was a little wounded. But y'all bring up a point that I have been trying to research for a while: What is the deal with waterprinting vs screenprinting? I love shirts with an image that is in the shirt, vs on it. They seem to fade better and hold up longer. Why does noone use the older printing method anymore? I've tried some ivestigating but all I find is info on regular screenprinting. Any ideas or insight?

cheers!

matt

hermosavtg

Post by hermosavtg »

ItsKosher wrote:I'd just like to post a quick rebuttal. I'm the seller of this shirt (and by the way the buyer never paid...

I figured. Too bad the sale still shows up in completed results. Ebay should remove a completed listing after the the buyer receives the unpaid item strike.

What country was this buyer located? I would welcome you to make the ebay username public so we can all add this scoundrel to our blocked bidders list.