Hats, belts and everything else.
CRAZYBUBBA

1930s Hudson Bay Company Wool Point Blanket

Post by CRAZYBUBBA »

More random clothing.

I've been into trade blankets/point blankets for a while now but have yet to find anything truly special.

These have a long an storied past and are very much part of North America's colonial history.

For those of you unfamiliar with Hudson's Bay Company, they were making wool trade blankets years before Pendelton, however their designs were much plainer and generally are not as valuable.
Attachments
Sideview
Sideview
red hbc side view.JPG (72.16 KiB) Viewed 13279 times
Label
Label
red hbc label.JPG (62.99 KiB) Viewed 13279 times
Last edited by CRAZYBUBBA on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Have vintage Elvis tees? Let me know!

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: 1930s Hudson Bay Company Wool Point Blanket

Post by jimmyj »

A friend of mine in the biz told me that stripes on the blankets came to be in the days of barter. More stripes meant the piece was more valuable and fetched better trades. The stripes would go on to be a mainstay in their branding and clothing - who can forget those 80s wool jackets.
Jimmy J

CRAZYBUBBA

Post by CRAZYBUBBA »

That's right.

In the original blankets 4 full stripes was the best that you could get. This particular blanket is only 3.5 stripes or "points".

Nowdays the bay sells 6 point and 8 point blankets as well.

I personally have a strong preference for the more busy Pendelton blankets, particularly the Beaver Creek line. I really like their designs.

hermosavtg

Post by hermosavtg »

http://cgi.ebay.com/30s-40s-VINTAGE-HUD ... 0411429928" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did somebody sew an old blanket into a jacket or what?

CRAZYBUBBA

Post by CRAZYBUBBA »

Actually the Hudson Bay company started making point blanket jackets from (I believe) 1920-30 onwards. They sell really well, I just saw one in Manhattan yesterday listed for $700.

Of course, there may have also been individuals who made jackets from torn/moth hole ridden blankets.