Upload a photo of a vintage tee and a description of its condition and let the community appraise it.
Forum rules
We've authored a very detailed appraisal guide you can view here: http://www.defunkd.com/blog/2014/04/28/ ... e-t-shirt/
TimeForMemories

Value for this late 70s Clinton Dodgers Tee?

Post by TimeForMemories »

Another cool one I found yesterday. This seems to be an ad tee promoting Clinton Beer as well as the Clinton Dodgers, a minor league baseball team that was in Clinton from 1977-1979. The teams during those years included then-soon-to-be-MLB-players Orel Hershiser, Steve Sax, Dave Stewart, Mitch Webster, Mike Scioscia and Ron Kittle. Back is blank.

Any ideas on value for this one?

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Bill Clinton Draft Dodger Tee

Post by jimmyj »

Hmmmm. I can't find any info on Clinton beer because of Hillary.

Were you able to? It may not exist.

Here's the alarm bell - that screen stars tag came to be at least a year after the clinton dodgers went defunct. So not sure if there's a tie in between the two.

I think this actually might political humour directed at Bill Clinton as there was controversy about him dodging the draft in 1992 - and wouldn't be weird for a tee to be printed on these Screen Stars then.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/po ... inton2.htm

?
Jimmy J

TimeForMemories

Re: Value for this late 70s Clinton Dodgers Tee?

Dude, you're a master detective! I think you're probably right on with the Bill Clinton thing. They just used the "Dodgers" font and that tricked me. The fact that it's singular rather than plural goes with your theory, too. I had wondered about the Screen Stars tag. I thought that was too early for that tag. When I searched Clinton Beer, I just got a bunch of Hillary stuff like you did. When I added the "Dodger" in is when it led me to the late 70s team.

Is there a decent market for political humor tees? What would you price this one at?

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Well....now is a good time as any with another Clinton in the white house. See how it goes at $50?
Jimmy J

Darkstar1661

Post by Darkstar1661 »

The Beer aspect might even have double meaning as not only a way to include the word "Draft" above "Dodger", but even a reference to Roger Clinton who had a very public issue with Drugs and Alcohol before and during the Clinton Years

"Clinton Beer" instantly left me thinking of Roger, at least, and that could have been in the initial thought behind it.

I would have to conclude it is a "Clinton Scandal" shirt, making reference to at least the two

A little on Roger:
http://mentalfloss.com/article/19202/6- ... hey-caused
2. Roger Clinton: Codename "Headache"

Some presidential siblings wait until their brother takes up residence in the White House to start making trouble. Not Bill Clinton's half-brother Roger, though. By the time Bill had jumped from the Arkansas' governor's mansion to Washington, Roger had already spent a year behind bars for a 1984 cocaine distribution arrest. He then spent much of Bill's two terms trying to realize his dream of becoming an Elvis-like rock star with his band, Politics, and appearing in a string of abysmal movies that must have been almost as embarrassing for Bill as the cocaine arrest. (It's one thing to get in trouble for drug trafficking, but it's quite another to have the poor judgment to appear opposite Pauly Shore in Bio-Dome.) Despite his busy schedule, he still found time to get into an altercation with a stockbroker at a Knicks game in 1993 and later unsuccessfully lobbied for pardons for his drug-dealing chums. Bill actually included Roger's cocaine arrest in his flurry of pardons in 2001; Roger showed his gratitude by promptly getting arrested for drunk driving a month later.

TimeForMemories

It ended up selling for $35.