Ask advice and get tips from expert vintage sellers and buyers.
Frank

Italy

Post by Frank »

I'm done with shipping to Italy. I always seem to have problems with anything that goes there. Even if it arrives, the buyer is usually dissatisfied. :evil:

Any other countries you've X'd off your list? I'm thinking of cutting out Espana as well.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Italy

Post by jimmyj »

You're 100% right man. Their post office is corrupt or something - every time I ship something there I wince. The last package made there ok...but it's usually 50 50.

Two of my four negatives over the years came from someone in Italy as well - one from an auction the person won for .99 cents and the item was described very accurately. I have found they don't bother to interpret the condition. It still grinds my gears, but at least that was back in the day when I was able to leave them a negative.

Shirts With Balls once posted a very scientific eBay guide about the process of shipping to Italy - but has since taken it down.
Jimmy J

CRAZYBUBBA

Post by CRAZYBUBBA »

What are the problems with shipping to Spain? The same as Italy?

I usually exclude Italy (due to the million posts about it online). Apparently their customs duties are also REALLY high. I like shipping to west Africa and east asia. Although most of my foreign buyers were in the UK, France and Germany when i used to sell watches.
Have vintage Elvis tees? Let me know!

hermosavtg

Post by hermosavtg »

Never had a problem shipping to Italy, but I get very few customers from there. Most internationals are UK, France, Germany. Some in Thailand and Malaysia. Worst experience was with a Greek buyer, leaving a negative of course with no contact beforehand or after. I've had most problems shipping items packed in tubes. Don't use shipping tubes. They roll around and its easy for them to roll off machinery or off a truck and into the gutter and bye-bye item hello dispute. Use the triangular shipping boxes instead.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

The rare times I have shipped to Spain over the years I have had a few problems, but not as much as Italy. I've been close to blocking both countries, but then have remembered all the frustrating times that eBay sellers in the U.S. wouldn't ship to Canada.

Which leads me to another rant...why do a lot of U.S. sellers opt to only sell to U.S. customers? I never understood removing a large chunk of potential customers (ie the rest of the world) from your listings.

I have asked many over the years who wouldn't ship to me in Canada and most told me it's because they can't be bothered with the extra paper work. Silly shit.
Jimmy J

CRAZYBUBBA

Post by CRAZYBUBBA »

Honestly, that's a terrible move on their part. UK bidders bid high and early. I've never understood it either. They have no idea what they're missing.

StivTaters

Post by StivTaters »

I just accidentally shipped the wrong shirt to a customer in Italy. Luckily she was very sweet and very understanding. I shipped the right one to her and a week later or so she shipped the wrong one back to me. Well, i have since received the shirt from her (and very quickly), but the one i sent has been sitting in Italy's customs for 12 days and counting. I mean, sure, i sprinkled anthrax all over the customs form, but still, 12 days!

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Cross yer fingers boys, this shirt went to Italy: :?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... 0401480717
Jimmy J

hermosavtg

Post by hermosavtg »

Good luck! Shipped some not so expensive sunglasses to Italy about a month ago and the buyer messages me today about not receiving them. I would send any item over $200 overseas EXPRESS MAIL with tracking / insurance! Don't understand these overseas buyers who spend $250 on a t-shirt or sunglasses but then want to save $20 shipping.

Also I had a couple of the "SOMEWHERE in TIME" USA tour t-shirts this summer but they only sold for about $25! Nice sale Jimmy!

CRAZYBUBBA

Post by CRAZYBUBBA »

I agree Hermosa. I had sent those Adidas boxing shoes by international xpresspost instead of standard airmail. It cost me $30 from my pocket but if the item sells for $100+ it's well worth the expense.