Help build a resource for vintage t-shirt brands by discussing and posting photos of old labels.
buflog

Help Identify Tag “TH tm” RN 55774

Post by buflog »

Hello all! Long time follower first time posting. Have a shirt here with a label that says H tm, can’t find any Google image searches that match it. The RN says that it’s a textile from Alstyle, but curious if anyone knows what the brand is. Pretty sure it’s late 90’s or early Y2K seeing that I’ve had it for a long while. Tag photo attached. Thank you!
Attachments
Help Identify Tag  “TH tm” RN 55774

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Help Identify Tag “TH tm”

Post by jimmyj »

Hello! So I think TM is just trademark - and it's TH - the t is subtle in the background.

Tried here but nothing: https://www.trademarkia.com/trademarks- ... =TH&page=1

It's probably a failed AlStyle brand extension.

What's on the print?
Jimmy J

buflog

Post by buflog »

Oh wow great eye on that hidden T! Thanks a lot and for the link. It looks like a Y2K skateboard streetwear style, I’ve attached a photo. At first I thought it may have been Hurley but didn’t find any of their older tags that looked like it.
Attachments

zargosh

Post by zargosh »

I found another one on poshmark, but have no clue what the brand is. I think you're right that it's a y2kish streetwear/skate thing.
Now for the weird part. the Altsyle RNs are on dozens (I only poked around for about ten minutes, so maybe it's more like hundreds) of other brands. Lots of small skate/streetwear stuff, but also some big ones like Santa Cruz. It's also on some totally random stuff like Reebok(!) and Kellogs. I think if I kept digging, I'd just come up with more stuff all day. Since none of these are sewn-in tags (they're not sewn over an already existing Alstyle tag), maybe Alstyle would manufacture these for the brands as long as there was enough of an order to make it worth their while.

Prepare yourself for the onslaught of pics
i.png (434.25 KiB) Viewed 1466 times

zargosh

Post by zargosh »

Whew!

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Help Identify Tag “TH tm” RN 55774

Post by jimmyj »

Whoa. Nice work man! Super sleuth.

Yeah, I guess they're all using Alstyle blanks - tags sewn in during manufacturing. Similar to Brockum using FOTL - but those never had FOTLs RN number. Maybe there's some explanation, given they were printed in Mexico that an RN must be present on a tag?
Jimmy J

zargosh

Post by zargosh »

That's cool, man. I didn't catch that they were all coming from Mexico. I think you hit it. This is from the ftc site on textile labeling:
A textile product made entirely abroad must be labeled with the name of the country where it was processed or manufactured...customs may require that the country of origin of imported goods be on a sewn-in label."
So the shirts probably needed to have those Alstyle RN tags sewn-in in order to pass customs.

Brockum was probably using FOTL tags that were entirely made in the USA, so then this rule would apply
An importer, distributor, or retailer may want to replace the original label on a textile product with a label showing its company or RN. This is legal as long as the new label lists the name or RN of the person or company making the change.
And check this out
The country of origin must be on the front of the label. Fiber content and the identity of the manufacturer or dealer may appear on the back of a label. In that case, the label must be attached to the product only at one end so the reverse side is accessible.
Now I get why all of the tags have the country of origin in the first place...and why if there's an undertag, they're always long enough to show the country of origin bit, just to comply with that reg.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

By god, you've solved it! Cheers man.
Jimmy J

buflog

Post by buflog »

You all are absolute legends this is wildly informative! On the hunt now to find out what skate style brands may have used this during that time period with the info provided 🤞