Upload a photo of a vintage tee and a description of its condition and let the community appraise it.
Forum rules
We've authored a very detailed appraisal guide you can view here: http://www.defunkd.com/blog/2014/04/28/ ... e-t-shirt/
maxvintage

Valuation Methods

Post by maxvintage »

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to selling vintage t's and outside of defunkd and a few ebay completed listing searches, I really don't feel like I have much else to help determine a price on shirts.

I'm curious how everyone does proper valuations of their products, especially those that are more rare? Any other resources out there that would help out?

Thanks so much!

Max

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Valuation Methods

Post by jimmyj »

Mostly just get a feel for it - price it against what's completed and currently live listings.

I've never used it, stumbled on to it after my selling days but Hermosa swears by it and he's super savvy in the research department:

www.terapeak.com/

Just Google eBay research tools. Lots of nifty stuff out there.
Jimmy J

maxvintage

Post by maxvintage »

Thanks Jimmy. I guess the more of this I do the more I'll figure out. I'm just really not sure on much of the dating/value process.

A mid 70s shirt vs. an early 80s shirt. Is the 70s worth much more because of those extra 5-6 years? If so, how do you determine if it's an extra $50 or $150?

I guess the $10-$100 t's are pretty easy to determine, but once you're looking at shirts in the $200-plus range it just seems a bit confusing. Like why would a shirt be priced at $500 rather than $300, etc.

Anyways, appreciate the help as always and I'm sure there's tons more to learn from forum posts on here. Thanks for everything!

-Max

Johnny65

Post by Johnny65 »

Sometimes pricing on the higher end is arbitrary.

It just depends if the right buyer is willing to pay the price you have associated with a piece.

Condition, size, age, subject matter, desirability and patina play a big role in the value of a vintage t-shirt.

You'll get a feel for it after a while.

http://worn75.blogspot.com/

maxvintage

Post by maxvintage »

Hey Johnny,

Yeah, I suppose ultimately it's just up to what someone is willing to pay for a shirt. I checked out your blog and really enjoyed reading it. Any tips for determining t-shirt years if it's not on the screen print? I know tags are the key a lot of times, but I'm really stuck when it comes to mid 70s to early 80s. But yeah, getting a feel for it will come in time I'm sure.

Thanks

-Max