Talk about anything here.
maxvintage

Old Smoke

Post by maxvintage »

Hey All,

I pulled a couple shirts and a sweet 60s motorcycle racing jacket last weekend at a yard sale. Problem is, everything has that old smoke odor. Is this something I should try to get out by washing, etc? Or should I just list the items and say that they smell like old smoke? I've been trying let the jacket just air out b/c it's so cool and I plan on keeping it.

Feel like this is probably a pretty common thing for vintage clothing folks and just wanted to get some opinions.

Thanks -- Max

Johnny65

Re: Old Smoke

Post by Johnny65 »

Max -

The t-shirts you can probably hand wash and hang dry depending on how old they are and whether or not they are 50/50 or 100% cotton. 100% cotton will stretch quite a bit in the water and unless you put them in the dryer they will become misshapen.

Try putting the jacket in a plastic bag with bounce dryer sheet and then put the bag in the freezer over night.

That should help.

http://worn75.blogspot.com/

maxvintage

Re: Old Smoke

Post by maxvintage »

Thanks Johnny. I actually don't have a dryer and have always feared throwing vintage t's in one. Just keep it on low I guess and watch it close? I've aired them out for the past week or so and that seems to have really helped on the t's, but not the jacket.

I'll try that freezer trick and let you know how it works. I'm almost like the smoke smell on that jacket, seems more authentic that way :)

-Max