Talk about anything here.
CRAZYBUBBA

Best Books on Vintage Tees/Clothing?

Post by CRAZYBUBBA »

I've read through:

-Denim: From Cowboys to Catwalks: A Visual History of the World's Most Legendary Fabric

-Motorcycle Jackets: A Century of Leather Design

and would recommend them

I've purchased JimmyJ's recommendations:

-Vintage T-shirts
-Vintage Rock T-Shirts

which I'm currently reading.

Does anyone have other books which they think should make the shortlist?
Have vintage Elvis tees? Let me know!

chasemac

Re: Best Books on Vintage Tees/Clothing?

Post by chasemac »

By the far the best vintage books are the My Freedamn series. Tons and tons of useful information with some awesome good looks. Definitely the mecca for all things vintage. Somewhat expensive, but I actually found one for ten bucks at a savers. Obviously I was super stoked.

Also there is a japanese mag/book that comes out every year of fresh tees. You could probably find it on ebay. Any of the good japanese t-shirt mags are friggin awesome too.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Yeah I want to get my hands on the My Freedamn series, but they seem to always be sold out and are no where to be found in Canada. I was even in touch with the author and still had no luck.

http://www.myfreedamn.com/index_en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jimmy J

hermosavtg

Post by hermosavtg »

Oh I've heard of this guy. These books are priced for serious vintage nerds http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... y+Freedamn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CRAZYBUBBA

Post by CRAZYBUBBA »

It's interesting to note that Rin Tanaka of the Myfreedanm series also wrote the motorcycle jacket book. It seems that this person is a walking encyclopedia of vintage.
Last edited by CRAZYBUBBA on Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thegleaner

Post by thegleaner »

Crazybubba, im glad you posted this. i'd been meaning to ask the same thing for a while now. Besides the Rin Tanaka books, i've found the Japanese Free & Easy magazines to be pretty consistently useful (for t-shirts check out the issue t-shirts museum from july 2008), Vintage Denim by David Little is pretty sweet too. Chasing Rainbows by Barry Friedman is amazing if you're into indian blankets.

CRAZYBUBBA

Post by CRAZYBUBBA »

I can't believe that I forgot Barry Freidman's book. Yes, that's amazing too. I've had the opportunity to see some pretty rare vintage stuff at work/ in stores but I've never seen anything like the stuff that Barry has sitting at home. He has an amazing collection and knowledge base.

CRAZYBUBBA

Post by CRAZYBUBBA »

thegleaner wrote:Vintage Denim by David Little is pretty sweet too.
Wow, ebay users give it pretty bad reviews.

http://catalog.ebay.com/Vintage-Denim-D ... ml?_fcls=1

thegleaner

Post by thegleaner »

damn, that dude ripped into it huh? superkoolchris = 8-) well, im not the most denim guy out there, but i found it pretty helpful for basic stuff. im sure there are better ones...so what are they?

bandito

Post by bandito »

thegleaner wrote:damn, that dude ripped into it huh? superkoolchris = 8-) well, im not the most denim guy out there, but i found it pretty helpful for basic stuff. im sure there are better ones...so what are they?
Most of the good one's are Japanese and out of print.