Talk about anything here.
ShirtSounds

Best method for removing pilling?

Post by ShirtSounds »

Every once in awhile I come across a really fuzzed up shirt. What's the best way to remove the pilling? There's a special comb, a stone, the razor method, and a fabric shaver. The fabric shaver actually looks kinda cool. Is it even worth doing to a t-shirt, as opposed to a sweater?

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Best method for removing pilling?

Post by jimmyj »

I've used a fabric shaver for minor pilling with good results. But it can take forever to do an even job - so typically just leave it and report it in the listing.
Jimmy J

ShirtSounds

Post by ShirtSounds »

I picked up a $3.99 Remington shaver from Amazon. We shall see how it works. I figure four bucks is nothing to cry over if it doesn't work well.

The stone method does look interesting, too, while the razor method looks tedious.

waxandthreads

Post by waxandthreads »

I'm a big fan of the electric shaver... but not those tiny battery operated cheap ones. I bought a SMARTEK plug in shaver with 2.5" head for $30. Worked great. I dropped and broke it, so I decided to get a better one and went with an ORECK for $60. Turns out they are the exact same shaver!!!!! High powered with large head gets jobs done with the quickness.

ShirtSounds

Post by ShirtSounds »

Good to know.

When I'm in the market for a new appliance, I usually start off small to gauge whether or not I will use it or how useful it will actually be. I wouldn't mind dropping $30.00 if it's an time I'd use a lot.

My concern is if they, in general, would work well on t-shirts since they seems to be geared toward sweaters and thicker items of clothing. Again, good to know they work.

lynnwiese

Post by lynnwiese »

I found a great way to get rid of pilling. I use a men's electric razor (women's works too). It removes 100% of the fuz on my clothes and has never damaged anything. Make sure though that you get one strictly for clothes. If you use it on hair it will become dull faster and you'll get tiny hairs on your clothes, yuck! And when you pick out a razor don't get the kind with the three round parts on top. And make sure it either doesn't have the clipper attachment or it's off to side away from the razor. I use a men's remington, it's cheap and effective. I hope this helps someone, good luck!