Talk about anything here.
oscar

New autographs on vintage tees?

Post by oscar »

I was thinking of getting a few of the shirts I have for sale signed- like Tom Savini signing my Dawn of the Dead shirt, etc. What do you guys think of getting autographs on vintage tees?

Stormcrow

Re: New autographs on vintage tees?

Post by Stormcrow »

Hey Oscar,
That's awesome, Savini rules! However, if it was me, i think i'd have him sign my tits or some other memorabilia. Hanging on the office wall with his autograph on it would be great, but if it was for wearing, personally, i'd pass.
Haven't researched this lately, but in years past, i have had a hard time selling tees with autographs. One example is a D.O.A. shirt i had, signed by two of the members. Had it in the store for months with no interest, then washed out the autographs, re-listed it, and it sold shortly after that.
I'd be interested to hear others opinions on this!

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Totally agreed! I had a section on my eBay store of autographed vintage tees - and they were really hard to sell. And since people don't wash them they tend to have a ton of other stains and dirt on them. Ended up selling for really cheap at auction when I shut my eBay store down.

I think people want to wear them and be able to wash them.
Jimmy J

Johnny65

Post by Johnny65 »

I'd say "No" to the autograph idea personally.

Jimmy and Stormcrow already supported this based on their own personal selling experiences.

Unlike many other collectibles where an authentic signature increases value, I'd say 90% of what we see as buyers/sellers and collectors of vintage t-shirts doesn't gain value with a signature.

Unless of course it was something like one of Kurt Cobain's personal t-shirts from the early days with his signature scrawled on it or an old, original Seditionaries piece with Johnny Rotten's signature from the 70's.

One collectors 2 cents. 8-)
collective [kəˈlɛktɪv]
http://worn75.blogspot.com/

oscar

Post by oscar »

Thanks for the input, yous guys! I was thinking about taking some to concerts to get signed, but I'll skip all that. I might still get Tom Savini to sign one though, just because he's so legendary.