Help build a resource for vintage t-shirt brands by discussing and posting photos of old labels.
Messier83

Champion Running Man fit

Post by Messier83 »

Hi All - new to the forum, but a long time lurker here. Been using you guys as a long time resource but never contributed. Know I should've introduced myself in the introductions section, but either way.

I have my hands on a great condition Running Man Champion t, 100% cotton. My question is, how did these old Running Man tees supposedly fit? The one I have is abnormally long..

It's 100% cotton, and know they were intended for sports use - which might may explain the length. 50s sports tees may've been intended to be tucked into gym shorts? Who knows.

Anyways, any knowledgeable input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all - just want to know if this something to be expected in Running Man era tees.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Champion Running Man fit

Post by jimmyj »

Welcome! I've seen a few like that too. Some were made tall...what are the dimensions? What's the design BTW?
Jimmy J

Messier83

Post by Messier83 »

Thanks for the welcoming!

It's a heather grey blank - tagged 48, but with a 21 pit to pit. Length is crazy - clocks in at 32 inches. Bottom hem stitching looks right for that period of Champion, but the length is nuts.

At first I thought it might be a reproduction because of its amazing condition, but then realized it would have never been reproduced w such a long length.

I guess a production run for taller people could explain it. Hmm still sorta stumped...

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Maybe it was altered? labelled 48 - but it falls way short of that. check the stitching ..or it was a manufacturing defect. dunno, weird!
Jimmy J

Messier83

Post by Messier83 »

I'll take a few pictures of it later and post to the thread. Always nice to have more hi-res shots of tags, amirite! Tag has some light fraying

Doesn't seem to be altered - still tube body of course. Seams at the bottom have the right period stitching (slight dimpling, if anyone knows what I mean).

Thinking about keeping it for myself and having it altered to my ideal length - wonder how much that will run me. In any event, more pictures to come!

Johnny65

Post by Johnny65 »

I've run across this same issue pretty much across the board in terms of categories (in other words not just sports related t-shirts) but usually always with 70's and early 80's tees.

I'd have to say it's always vexed me. I could never understand why some tees seemed to have these unusual lengths.

My best conclusion is that at one time it was fashionable to tuck in your t-shirt with your cords or Levis and a belt. Especially in the 70's. If you look back at a lot of the candid photos of rockstars or candid photos of audiences it was fashionable for guys to tuck in their t-shirts. So I think some companies producing the blank garments which would later be screen printed made the garments with the extra length for this very purpose.
collective [kəˈlɛktɪv]
http://worn75.blogspot.com/