If you're new and want to say hello, do it here.
stage1dave

New member from Edmonton AB

Post by stage1dave »

As it's 40 below here, I think my brain has finally unthawed enuff to write this post...

I ran across this site by accident; after relocating from Saskatoon in 2010 & unpacking, I noticed about a dozen of my concert tour T's had disappeared. Naturally, I headed up to Ebay to see if I could pick up some replacements & got a bit of a shock! :roll:

Anyway, after 30 years of travelling all over NA & "collecting" a wardrobe that consisted entirely of t shirts from truck stops, NHRA drag races, carshows, airshows, & rock concerts I had almost 5 tubs of T's to run through. My wife has been bugging me for a couple years to pare this "collection" down, because we are trying to downsize...and I'm not doing a very good job of it!

Hopefully, I won't be making a cameo appearance on "Hoarders" in the near future, but I'm curious about where this hobby might be going in the future? Most of my collection got put together out of necessity (I hated doing laundry on the road) & now I'm thinking of adding to it with an eye toward future investment & fun...the wife & I enjoy showing up at rod runs wearing complimentary Judas Priest or Iron Maiden tour T's, for instance, & we're both old enough to have enjoyed these bands live in the 80's. Also, she didn't purchase T's at several of these shows she attended, so we've bought some vintage stuff to add to her wardrobe.

(we're probably the only middle aged couple that will be arguing about "pole space" in the walk-in closet)

Which brings me to my next question: what is the best way to store some of these vintage T's? I printed t shirts in the 90's, & was always worried about cracking & piling of the prints when folded & bagged; & yet hanging them presents problems long-term...we have a couple cats, & we both smoke! Any suggestions would be appreciated! :D (I still freezer bag a lot of the ones I don't wear very often, btw)

That's about it for now, I'll probably post some pics of some of my "oddball" T's just to get some input on trends, value, or just feedback this weekend; in the meantime I'm gonna try & stay warm!

Cheers, Dave

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: New member from Edmonton AB

Post by jimmyj »

Welcome sir!

re: storage - good Q - here's a few threads:

random-f7/vintage-shirt-storage-and-mai ... -t338.html

and this collector is super serious about storage - click on the "store your links" part.

http://www.defunkd.com/blog/2009/02/01/ ... -t-shirts/

His tips would definitely come in handy with two smokers in the house. Especially if you plan to sell some of them. You'd have to wash and immediately bag them - as buyer can be picky with smoke smell.

Sounds like you have some gems - so when you do post - put them in our "show" section.

http://www.defunkd.com/collection

Welcome and enjoy!
Jimmy J

BrucePomer

Post by BrucePomer »

Just joined the community. Hello everyone.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Welcome B!
Jimmy J