Upload a photo of a vintage tee and a description of its condition and let the community appraise it.
Forum rules
We've authored a very detailed appraisal guide you can view here: http://www.defunkd.com/blog/2014/04/28/ ... e-t-shirt/
Lehaha

Smile shirt

Post by Lehaha »

I can't seem to find this shirt for a comparison anywhere on the internet. I got it from an estate that had clothing ranging from the 40s to the 70s. Any clues on the value?
Attachments
Smiley USA
Smiley USA

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Smile shirt

Post by jimmyj »

Awesome print.

Only on the internet can you find a history of the smiley - says that design was conceived in 1963 to boost the moral of employees at a life insurance company. Then a couple of brothers started plastering it on everything in the early 70s - and sold mugs, tees, buttons, etc.

In the 80s and 90s it got affiliated with the acid house / rave scene.

I think it's likely 70s but what's the brand on the tag?

As for value...depends on the tag. If it's a 60s tag will do a lot better. Americana stuff can do well, but definitely a fixed price situation.
Jimmy J

Lehaha

Re: Smile shirt

Post by Lehaha »

Oh yes, I found the history of the smiley, (Forrest Gump didn't invent it) but, alas, not shirt like this one. There is no brand, just a small white tag "made in U.S.A. 50% polyester 50% cotton LARGE"