Help build a resource for vintage t-shirt brands by discussing and posting photos of old labels.
memoryvintage

Towncraft JC Penney Label

Post by memoryvintage »

Can anyone date the label on this pocket tee? I'm leaning toward '60s. 100% cotton.
Attachments
Towncraft JC Penney Label

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Towncraft JC Penney Label

Post by jimmyj »

Hmmm never seen that incarnation - Wax may know - he has a book, there's an image here:

post7604.html
Jimmy J

memoryvintage

Post by memoryvintage »

The book I have has a similar Towncraft Plus label in it dated 1964 - 71 so I'm settling with '60s.

waxandthreads

Post by waxandthreads »

1964-1971 are supposedly the years the "atomic p" was used. Much of dating Pennys stuff can be done by how they wrote Pennys. All caps Penny's with apostrophe is pre 1963. atomic p until 1971, that's when they added the JC back to it. So, if it has JCPenny, it's post 1971.

(disclaimer: I'm basically quoting a book and do not actually know these things as fact)

Inmind

Post by Inmind »

waxandthreads, what is this book you speak of?

Also, awesome write up about your thrift trip, I'm hoping to do a similar trip very soon!

memoryvintage

Post by memoryvintage »

Inmind, It sounds like we're both using A Dandy Guide to Dating Vintage Menswear by Sue Nightingale.

waxandthreads

Post by waxandthreads »

Thanks Inmind!! Get out there and do it. Worst thing that can happen is you'll hate it but still end up with a bunch of cool stuff.
Yes sir Memory, that's the one. Well worth the money. I don't put 100% faith in it, but use it more as another opinion.