Help build a resource for vintage t-shirt brands by discussing and posting photos of old labels.
memoryvintage

3D Emblem Info

Post by memoryvintage »

I'm having trouble searching the forum for info on 3D Emblem. Anyone have any interesting knowledge on the brand? I love the military tees they made.

memoryvintage

Re: 3D Emblem Info

Post by memoryvintage »

Here's one from an '87 blue eagle and badge HD tee.

Another from a black "My Harley doesn't leak oil. It marks my space" tee. Heh...
Attachments
3D Emblem Info
3D Emblem Info

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Nice, I don't think I've ever seen that harley/3d combo tag. Always wondered about this tag - done several searches before and never found any company info - so never done a BrandPedia entry. I just searched again, one of the top hits is a Defunkd post from '09 asking the same Qs.

brands-f13/emblem-shirts-t38.html
Jimmy J

memoryvintage

Post by memoryvintage »

Mysterious. Here's my "Terrorist Terminator" 3D tee. I try to always wear it on the 4th of July. The label is too worn to get any info, unfortunately.
Attachments
3D Emblem Info

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

All I can say is don't mess with Texas. That one is awesome. I sold one years back that said, "Guts, Guns and God are what make America great." Strangely a dude from the UK bought it.
Jimmy J

stage1dave

Post by stage1dave »

Figured I'd post this stuff here here 'cause it's the most recent thread.

I haven't had much luck researching the history of this brand either, but I might be able to add some "timelines" to it.

I spent a great deal of the 80's & 90's gypsying all over NA going to drag races, car shows, plus a few summers on the airshow circuit.

(I also LOVE live music & thought nothing of driving 500 miles out of my way to catch a band I couldn't see at home; that's where how my tour t's started to accumulate)

My interest in 3D was a result of my refusing to do laundry on the road...hahaha. Still remember the first time I saw one...the T/A at Black River Falls, WI in '86. We'd spent a few hours on the JFK when it was still toll in June heat & I was drenched. That damned shirt felt so comfy I had to have a few more...

Fast forward several years, many truck stops, & many more miles...I could gas up, eat, shower,& grab half a new wardrobe in a couple hours. Most of these 3D shirts were $10-$12, tho' I did see them cheaper several times. Also, I had a virtual "wearable" road map of where I'd been. I'd show up back in Saskatoon with a half-dozen stuck in a plastic bag behind the seat...

(I'm a signwriter by trade, & was lettering a lot of big rigs back then; so they always provoked some good conversation...'specially if you wore one from the 4 Way in Wells NV, "hey, is that redhead still there?" or the Forty Niner in Winnemucca or Sacramento "JHC, isn't that a bitch of a hill?"

Anyhow, I noticed by 1991 they were getting real scarce...by '92 all I was seeing was CMJ stuff. The material was similar, but IMHO the artwork (especially on the back print) wasn't up to snuff & the print quality was rougher. The artwork on these 3D t's & the print process (I'm assuming 4CP) was superior to just about everything else, & I was never able to find someone to duplicate the overall quality or feel (of the overall effect, not the artwork itself) once I started doing my own designs.

I guess my fascination with these t's revolves around the almost "laser-like" application of the inks with no discernable build & great layout/colour usage. I see very few t's these days that rival them. (& you won't be buyin' em for 10 or 12 bux!)

Anyhow, as much s I wanted to plaster a few dozen over a basement wall (thought it would make a cool collage, y'know?) I wound up selling most of 'em to the far east. Kept several that had some great memories attached (& still wear 'em occasionally) but it was hard to argue with $150 a shirt...who knew?

If anyone else has something to add, I'd be interested in hearing more details about this company & their product.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

thanks d! good input. the print process was definitely ahead of its time. Im sure it had those using the standard screen process scratching their heads.

amazing in todays day and age that info cant be found...
Jimmy J

memoryvintage

Post by memoryvintage »

Great story, Dave!

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Perhaps I should be ashamed, but I haven't ever seen this one before. Perhaps I shunned the 90s for too long! Sewn, or woven tag. This came from a 1994 Harley tee.

I think 3D learned their lesson from the 80s tags when their logo wore off - wanted something more permanent.
Attachments
3D Emblem Info
Jimmy J

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

For those looking for full information on 3D Emblem we've recently done an interview with a historian here: https://www.defunkd.com/3d-emblem
Jimmy J