Ask advice and get tips from expert vintage sellers and buyers.
Frank

trading assistant, consulting, etc.

Post by Frank »

Have any of you guys done any Trading Assistant or consulting work? I've been kind of kicking around the idea of doing something like this but i'm curious to hear some stories. i wonder if it's worth the effort.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: trading assistant, consulting, etc.

Post by jimmyj »

I was signed up for the Trading Assistant program and very rarely got messaged. When I did it was usually spam, someone in China promoting knock-off brand names. Not once did it result in me selling something for someone.

Consulting I did too - but only for one eBay account. The problem is that it's hard to reach potential clients.
Jimmy J

Frank

Post by Frank »

Yeah, Trading Assistant seems like another eBay misfire. (see also community or my eBay or whatever other bell and whistle they add)

What are you doing to try to reach potential clients? Just curious. I'm sure I pass by 100 businesses a day that do not have an ebay presence but have junk to sell.

CRAZYBUBBA

Post by CRAZYBUBBA »

I was actually looking for a trading assistant in the NYC area before but my main obstacle was giving hundreds of dollars in merchandise to someone who I don't know at all.

To be sure, there were people close by who offered a 75% cut of the selling price, specialized in clothing, were 1 mile away, etc, but I think that (in my mind at least) it helps to have at least a vague notion of who your trading assistant is as a person. Also, most people don't really know about the program anyway.
Have vintage Elvis tees? Let me know!

hermosavtg

Post by hermosavtg »

I usually spend a good amount of time in new york in the spring and summer months if you're still looking for a trading assistant in NYC

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

I took out an add in a community newspaper that generated a few calls and resulted in one gig. But you're right, being proactive about it and approaching businesses and pitching them on the idea of an eBay account would be smart, I've just never been a cold-call kind of guy.
Jimmy J

CRAZYBUBBA

Post by CRAZYBUBBA »

I've actually worked out an arrangement with someone in the NYC area for consigning goods. I'm pretty excited to see how it goes.

Frank

Post by Frank »

I can't put this idea to rest. It seems like there are lots of businesses out there looking for larger markets but don't know how to reach them through eBay. It doesn't help that eBay is making it costlier to sell.

CRAZYBUBBA

Post by CRAZYBUBBA »

Honestly I find ebay to be a bargain for what it does. I put up something, pay $1 to list it xxx in FVFs and ebay lets the market do the rest. I sold the 50s champion shirt on ebay for $125, without the tag. I couldn't believe the numbers on that screen.
Last edited by CRAZYBUBBA on Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frank

Post by Frank »

haha, i was kicking myself for not grabbing that from you!

i'm thinking more outside of the vintage clothing world and towards more general kind of consulting, i guess. like for a kitchen supply company, or electronic blahblahblah company. i don't know- it seems like the stuff that we've learned could be scaled out.