Ask advice and get tips from expert vintage sellers and buyers.
CRAZYBUBBA

Ebay Fee Changes

Post by CRAZYBUBBA »

Has anyone been keeping abreast of the upcoming fee changes at ebay? Ie: 9% FVFs on auctions, more expensive store listings, free insertion fees for .99c listings and other changes. http://blog.auctionbytes.com/cgi-bin/blog/blog.pl

Will you guys be doing anything differently?
Have vintage Elvis tees? Let me know!

Frank

Re: Ebay Fee Changes

Post by Frank »

Buess you have to inflate prices when you lose a bajillionty dollars in that Skype fiasco.

They seem hellbent on putting themselves and all of us out of business.

I'm not going to change my approach to eBay much, but i'm going to continue to try alternative means of selling.

StivTaters

Post by StivTaters »

...and don't you love it how they try and spin this into a good thing? like they're doing us a favor...

Frank

Post by Frank »

good news! store prices have gone up as well!

StivTaters

Post by StivTaters »

I'm going to really have to analyze the fees and pricing (which is really fun! i love devoting time on the computer to that kind of stuff)...if they are going to take away the store inventory option, I may just drop my store subscription entirely. awesome!

hermosavtg

Post by hermosavtg »

Overall i think these are changes for the better
new: http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation ... e2010.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
old: http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All these sudden changes over the past year and a half or so should have been done a long time ago (more gradually) to keep ebay competitive. Instead during the Whitman regime (the Party of "NO") the "if aint broke" mentality ruled whilst the main objective was to grow by acquisition (skype, paypal they had mixed results here).

Ebay for the seller is certainly a much tougher place to stay competitive if youre selling regular new or almost new items.

CRAZYBUBBA

Post by CRAZYBUBBA »

Does this mean that FVFs for vintage and clothing are going down? I think it used to be 12% before.
Have vintage Elvis tees? Let me know!

hermosavtg

Post by hermosavtg »

Interesting. I've read through this a bit, and it seems like this is actually a BIG fee hike on Auction style listings for store sellers:

New final value fees for auction style listings ending $50-1000:
8.75% of the initial $50.00 ($4.38), plus 4.0% of the remaining closing value balance ($50.01–$1,000.00)

Old fees:
8.75% of the initial $25.00 ($2.19), plus 3.50% of the remaining closing value balance($25.01 - $1,000.00)

There is also the "9% flat fee, w/ $50 cap" but, if you are a store subscriber you would pay the above fees instead, i believe. If I'm doing the math right that means if you sell an item for say $450, and as a store subscriber you would pay a 20.28 instead of $40.05 (9%)? Very confusing!

Still I'd say the biggest losers are Store Sellers using store inventory selling format, with less than 200 items up at a time.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

I just got an eBay email about new fees March 30th? is that new, new fees? or what you guys have been talking about?
Jimmy J

hermosavtg

Post by hermosavtg »

lol, the email reads "New fees coming March 30. You're on track now for the lowest rates."

I'm guessing it's the new new "april 2010" fees announced a while back. Basically they are going in the amazon direction, lower front end fees, higher sales commission (amazon still charges a higher commission on sales than even the new ebay fees).

Probably I'll upgrade to the $50 /mo store subscription to get the low fixed price listings. This is going to mean more expenses for me but what alternative do I have ? Bonanzle? Or the sunday flea markets?