Upload a photo of a vintage tee and a description of its condition and let the community appraise it.
Forum rules
We've authored a very detailed appraisal guide you can view here: http://www.defunkd.com/blog/2014/04/28/ ... e-t-shirt/
willitwas0

Date this champion AMA shirt?

Post by willitwas0 »

Unfortunately, the tag is missing.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Can anyone date this shirt?

Post by jimmyj »

Perhaps 1970s - I think the different color arms style emerged then...and the stars definitely were influenced by the by Evil Knievel Harley era. But I could be wrong.
Jimmy J

willitwas0

Post by willitwas0 »

I forgot to ask what it's worth. What do you think?

Frank

Post by Frank »

According to their website, they changed their name from American Motorcycle Assoc. to American Motorcyclist Assoc in 1976, so this shirt predates that change.

I agree with Jimmy- the stars on the sleeve look suggests an Evel Knievel influence, probably after 1972 when Evel famously jumped the Snake River Canyon!

Frank

Post by Frank »

I'd expect it to go for around $100 to $150 ish? Too bad it doesn't say Harley Davidson.

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

But the bonus is that "champion" although it's the motor oil...not the knitwear will bring in lots of extra vintage loving traffic. I would sneak "harley" in there too, but I'm a jerk like that.
Jimmy J

willitwas0

Re: Date this champion AMA shirt?

Post by willitwas0 »

Thanks everyone! I got in touch with someone at the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum and they said it's from '73. That was the year Champion sponsored the International Six Day Trials. It was also the first year the ISDT was held in the USA. Now I just gotta find out who #53 was and wether or not that shirt was retailed or if it belonged to #53. Thanks again for all your help!

Frank

Post by Frank »

haha awesome! i love the researching aspects of selling that kind of stuff. It's like a low budget Antique Roadshow. What do i win for my outstanding educated guess?

willitwas0

Post by willitwas0 »

My gratitude!