Upload a photo and let the community weigh in on the authenticity of your t-shirt.
Robin_lifts

Boris Vallejo 1986 shirt

Post by Robin_lifts »

Heya all,

Recently purchased this Boris Vallejo shirt from 1986.

I’m really not sure about the authenticity.

Why I’m not sure:

- Most Vallejo shirts I’ve seen were printed on Screen Stars blanks. This must be an exception. Which in itself is not unique, but it makes one think (I’ve seen a lot of Tultex fakes recently).

- These shirts recently have become more valuable and sought after, particularly this dragon design

- I compared the label to another Jerzees shirt I have, and the label is about 1.5 mm wider (the size M is 100% authentic, see photo)

However, the label looks pretty authentic, and IF it’s a fake, I’ve got to admit that these people did an amazing job. In that case, they nailed the poly-cotton blend, as well as the single stitch sleeves with the double stitched hem (typical for Jerzees tees from this era)
Attachments
Boris Vallejo 1986 shirt
Boris Vallejo 1986 shirt
Boris Vallejo 1986 shirt
Boris Vallejo 1986 shirt
Boris Vallejo 1986 shirt
Boris Vallejo 1986 shirt
Boris Vallejo 1986 shirt

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Boris Vallejo 1986 shirt

Post by jimmyj »

Beauty! I've had a bunch of BV tees in my collection over the years. I recently started poking around for another one and noticed how high they are always priced.

These Body Graphics Prints, are like 3D emblem and Just Brass Inc tees - they are known to feature really high-definition graphics, which are a lot harder to counterfeit, due to the sheer amount of colors/screens, half tone dots, etc.

So at first glance, I don't see any problems with it.

But can you let me know what the pit-to-pit is? I only see the length measurement.

Thanks
Jimmy J

zargosh

Post by zargosh »

I think that's legit. It'll be interesting to see if the pit to pit is off. It's hard to imagine anyone going to the length of faking a single/double (that's my term for single stitch sleeves/double stitch hems, which as you point out is typical on Jerzees from that era), since that's not a common shirt blank to the best of my knowledge...but I guess you never know.

Robin_lifts

Post by Robin_lifts »

First of all, thanks for your replies guys. The shirt feels relatively wide, but when I measured it, it actually really isn’t. It measures almost 21” from pit to pit. I’m a size L-XL and it fits me perfectly. A bit slim. And we’ll, that’s how I think it’s supposed to fit (like the 3D poly-cotton shirts)

I also invested a lot of time in comparing the graphics of this shirt with other Vallejo pieces I found on eBay and other platforms. The weird thing is that the graphics looks slightly different. Specifically the cream colored lower part. On other shirts, it looks a bit darker and more like blending into the black. However, that may be part of the aging process and the multiple washings other shirts had and this one hasn’t. I also saw other minor differences between the exact same other shirts offered online. Small details, like the red and blue tones of the dragon’s tail.

Finally I noticed there’s a bit more distance between the hem stitches of this shirt and the other Jerzees shirt I used to compare it with. But I guess that alone can’t be a red flag.

I’m like 75% sure the shirt is authentic. The 25% doubt is largely due to the Jerzees tag (instead of Screen Stars).

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

Yes, I agree that the Jerzees element is a bit oddball, as it's usually Screen Stars sometimes FOTL (but same thing.) I dug a bit but couldn't find any other BV tees on a Jerzees tag.

The tag and shirt itself, no issue there. And there are some convincing repros floating around on eBay, of your design. But in those listings, it quite possible they used imagery from real vintage t-shirts.

Anywho, one I'd be happy to take a look at on the app if you're really concerned, I can do a full print comparison.

But would also keep an eye out for other ones printed on Jerzees tees, if they pop up.
Jimmy J