Upload a photo of a vintage tee and a description of its condition and let the community appraise it.
Forum rules
We've authored a very detailed appraisal guide you can view here: http://www.defunkd.com/blog/2014/04/28/ ... e-t-shirt/
mrs_stout

Nike Basketball Camp T-Shirt

Post by mrs_stout »

Hello! Found this little gem on one of my runs. It's a Jim Calhoun Basketball Camp t-shirt with a big Nike/basketball on the back (see photos below). Two things:

1. I want to confirm that this is an 80s tag; and
2. I'm going to auction it off. What would be a good number to open on?

Thanks, all!
Nike Grey Orange Swoosh Tag
Nike Grey Orange Swoosh Tag
nikecalhoun01.jpg (79.93 KiB) Viewed 6657 times
Nike Jim Calhoun Basketball Camp T-Shirt
Nike Jim Calhoun Basketball Camp T-Shirt
defunkdnikecalhoun02.jpg (99.11 KiB) Viewed 6657 times
Nike Jim Calhoun Basketball Camp T-Shirt (Back)
Nike Jim Calhoun Basketball Camp T-Shirt (Back)
defunkdnikecalhoun01.jpg (83.6 KiB) Viewed 6657 times

jimmyj
Site Admin

Re: Nike Basketball Camp T-Shirt

Post by jimmyj »

Could be - according to research that was done by a member of the forum:

http://www.defunkd.com/blog/2011/08/07/ ... ike-brand/

that tag was introduced in 89 - but mostly produced in the 90s.
Jimmy J

mrs_stout

Post by mrs_stout »

Thanks -- any ideas on a good starting price?

jimmyj
Site Admin

Post by jimmyj »

These days Nike tees you'll get fair value in auction format - I'd start it at $9.99 - the only thing not great about it is the color - can be a deal breaker.
Jimmy J

mrs_stout

Post by mrs_stout »

I could see that. I don't wear yellow myself; with my complexion, it makes me look sickly.

oscar

Post by oscar »

Is it 50/50 or all cotton? It will go higher at auction if it's 50/50 and I would put that in the title. TONS of Nike is going overseas to Thailand and Malaysia where the value the soft and thin tees over the thicker cotton ones. Also, I have noticed on all the dated marathon tees I've had the 50/50 ones were 80's and the cotton ones were 90's. But that could be just be the shirts they used for our local marathons in Minneapolis.

mrs_stout

Post by mrs_stout »

It is indeed a 50/50. Thanks for the tip! I'll be listing tomorrow and let y'all know how it goes.

FiftyFiftyMan

Post by FiftyFiftyMan »

Be careful. I've been burned on Ebay by putting up great vintage shirts at low starting prices ($8-10), just assuming it would get bid up like they always used to. In the past few years, I've sold some gems with the shirt getting only one bid at the basement price, with few lookers. That's the huge downside of the fixed time auction...getting the RIGHT people to see it in the narrow time frame of the auction.

The Calhoun shirt is cool, and the right person might well pay $30 for it. But the chances of more than one person bidding it up in that window is iffy. I'd start the shirt much higher, then look at the page views and watchers, which is a good gauge of interest. Decent interest and bid....you win. Decent interest but no bid....relist with a somewhat lower price. Low interest....take it somewhere else like eCrater (or on here), price it where you originally did.....and wait. Eventually the right person will find it and buy it.

mrs_stout

Post by mrs_stout »

Thanks, FiftyFiftyMan (sounds like a superhero!)

Actually, it's already listed for 19.99 and set to end today. If it doesn't sell, I'll probably wait a couple of weeks and then relist it higher and see what gives. Obviously, if I can get more for it I'll be happy, but if it goes for $20, I won't be too mad about it.

RyanB

Post by RyanB »

I found a half shirt with that tag today. Mine is 100% cotton though.
Attachments
nike1.JPG (47.71 KiB) Viewed 6574 times
nike2.JPG (37.06 KiB) Viewed 6574 times